USB LCD as Primary Display

greanie

USB LCD as Primary Display

Post by greanie »

I have just installed Windows XP Home on a Fit PC 2. I downloaded and installed the drivers on the Download section of the Fit-PC website. Everything ok.

I would like to use DoubleSight's DS-90U USB LCD as my primary display. The Doublesight website support information confirms that their displays have thoroughly been tested in this configuration. I install their software/drivers. I plug it in and see my desktop extended onto the USB LCD, no problem. When I try to set it as my primary, Windows crashes immediately.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Re: USB LCD as Primary Display

Post by 9812713 »

Hi Greanie

1: Have you patched XP to it's full potential?
2: Have you downloaded / installed any of the drivers / software updates to for the LCD ?
3: Lastly, Are you sure XP Home is supported ? Sometimes manufactures throw around support for "XP" meaning " XP Professional"

/// XP Home is crippled in some respects..

Cheers.

W.

greanie

Post by greanie »

I have installed the LCD software. The Fit-PC Slim running XP Professional SP2 can operate the DoubleSight USB LCD as the primary display without any trouble. I will have to try it again on Fit-PC2 with XP Pro rather than XP Home. I expect however that it is more of a driver issue than a windows issue. I'll try it and report back.

Post by 9812713 »

Hi greanie

I'm sorry in I was miss leading, I was primarily asking IF it could be a Pro/Home issue as apposed to a FIT-PC issue.

Another odd thing to try is different USB ports. This could also change the outcome of the problem.

Cheers.
W.

Post by 9812713 »

You can also try to install the "head less" video driver as documented here..

http://fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=601

W.

greanie

Post by greanie »

So it definitely doesn't work on the fitPC2 with either XP Pro or Home edition. OK, it worked once when installed the driver for the USB diplay, set the USB display as my primary, moved the desktop over but on reboot, the USB monitor didn't work and the HDMI wasn't putting out video so I had to reinstall windows, thank you very much.

However, it works great on fitPC Slim. I may try headless but I doubt it will work any better. Too bad the Slim doesn't have the power of the fitPC2.

This is one feature lost in the upgrade. Why HDMI only for video? How am I suppose to use the fitPC2 in my car again? I assumed automotive use was a market fitPC was going after given the 12v input power (otherwise, wouldn't you just 5v input)?

greanie

Post by greanie »

So I got the DoubleSight USB display to the primary and only display. The trick is not to select "Set as primary display" in the DoubleSight configuration tab (this causes blue screen of death) but rather to select "Turn off laptop display", disconnect display and reboot. It seems to remember its configuration and upon boot, the USB display is the primary and only display.

I reinstalled XP Pro SP2 with the new headless driver.

Cool!

Return to “Windows on fit-PC2”