I think I know one major incompatibility

vtailor

I think I know one major incompatibility

Post by vtailor »

For Windows 8, the MINIMUM spdif data rate is 44000. None of this "studio quality" 22000 stuff for Microsoft. So, you have at least two options: Lobby Microsoft to add an update to "studio quality" for Windows 7 driver compatibility. Make your own sorta compatible driver for Windows 8. Suggest USB sound dongle, which works, but badly. Or tell people that Windows 8 is off limits.

I think this spdif data rate may be at the core of flash plugin incompatibilities as well. Including the notorious Torchwood series of amazon.com, which refuses to stream on both firefox and google chrome under Windows 8.

Happy weekday everyone.

vtailor

Re: I think I know one major incompatibility

Post by vtailor »

You must know that the realtek web site has an updated sound driver compatible with Windows 8. And, it is worthless, because it insists on putting out "CD sound" at 41000 bps, while the fit-pc2i is rated at 24000. And, I know I have my analog "speaker" jack plugged in to the right hole in back, because I am running "studio quality" Linux sound from that same plug as I post this.

So, what do you think? Is it worth your trouble to support Windows 8, 32-bit for the fit-pc2i?

Oh yes. Even though the driver is worthless, I now get streaming flash running on google-chrome in Windows 8, minus any sound. Before I added the worthless sound driver, google-chrome would not even display streaming flash.

Did I mention that the built-in atheros wifi is not well regarded by Linux Zenwalk? I am using a second wifi dongle from a USB port (wlan1). I'll have to try a different kernel out when I get a moment.

Return to “Windows on fit-PC2”