Intense PC Pro (i7)- CPU power 30W??

csimon

Intense PC Pro (i7)- CPU power 30W??

Post by csimon »

Hi,

I've just bought an Intense PC Pro and set it up with Windows 7. I have been using CoreTemp on other PCs to monitor the CPU temp and power so I've installed it here too, but it's showing 30W-39W while idling, which is strange because the TDP of this processor is 17W and I wanted this machine to be low power. It's using more power than my quad-core i7-3770T (TDP 45W, idles at around 8W according to CoreTemp). I attach a screengrab. can this be explained?
Attachments
coretemp.png
coretemp.png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 15894 times

irads

Re: Intense PC Pro (i7)- CPU power 30W??

Post by irads »

The numbers don't add up. No way you will have 31W with core temp of 26C.

csimon

Post by csimon »

Well, this is what I thought! It could be that CoreTemp is not reading things right...although it seems to produce reasonable figures with my other PC (the i7-3770T).

I've since got another stats monitor (HWMonitor) and it's showing things differently. It's got *four* power figures, can't remember what they're called now, I'll try and post a screengrab tonight, but two of them are in the range 30W-40W and the other two are in the range 1W-8W, depending on load.

I would very miuch like to think that the 1W-8W is the actual correct CPU reading. But still puzzled as to why *two* different monitoring programs are showing some sort of power consumption in the range 30W-39W (it has reached the top end of this range while performing the Windows 7 Experience test), and what exactly they are reading, when you have put the machine under lots of stress and can only find power consumption of 24W max for the whole machine.

BTW the core temp reached around 60C with the load I put in under, while the power was in the high 30Ws.

Is there any monitoring tool that you can recommend and that you trust to give accurate readings?

csimon

Post by csimon »

Here's a screengrab from HWMonitor while the system is idle. While it's doing some processing, the middle two power rows go from 0W-9W as you can see from the Max column, while the top row can go up to 47W. Do you know what these are measuring?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (14.57 KiB) Viewed 15855 times

csimon

Post by csimon »

I've done some Googling and it looks like "Uncore" is everything in the CPU that is not the actual core, therefore the "package" is Core + Uncore.

So from these results, it looks like the stated max 17W of the core is correct and is usually consuming very little power, but the rest of the machine actually consumes around twice the power of what has been quoted as max power usage.

Do you think that both Coretemp and MWmonitor have got it wrong, that there is something wrong with my machine, or is your quote of 26W max power only referring to the core power usage and not the whole machine?

BTW I know that HWMonitor is getting the ID of the CPU wrong, I've actually got an i7. I hope!

csimon

Post by csimon »

Could you clarify whether you see the same results via Coretemp & HWMonitor and whether you think their results are misleading? Or could you recommend a software download that you do trust to give accurate power readings, or is a plug-in power meter the only way to determine the actual power usage? Or maybe have I misunderstood that the stated max 26W power consumed by this machine is actually CPU core only and not the whole machine? Or is it possible that I've got a faulty unit and need to RMA it?

csimon

Post by csimon »

<bump>

colllectivetrader

Post by colllectivetrader »

Same problem here. Just bought an Intense PC Pro (i7) barebone and loaded it with 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and Windows 7 x64.
Looking at OpenHardwareMonitor (similar to HWMonitor) I'm reading 35W.
I sure hope this is not correct because I planned to have this machine run 24h/day. If it's burning power at that rate, it's not going to happen.

I sure would like to know what can be done to confirm or fix this issue.

Thanks,
Walter

csimon

Post by csimon »

I too got the barebone and put 16GB RAM in (2x8GB) and a 128GB SSD, Win7 Pro x64. I took out the wireless card as I didn't need it, so at least that shouldn't be consuming any power. I've turned off everything in the BIOS that I think I don't need, such as all the PCI stuff on unused ports and the NIC that I'm not using, but still getting 30W-40W readings.

irads

Post by irads »

You can easily get 30W+ at the wall under load.
CPU has turbo-boost that allows it to climb over 17W if thermal envelope allows. Other system components can add 8-10W. PSU efficiency is about 83%.
On the other hand Intense PC idles below 10W.

Return to “Power and heat”