Display problems caused by heat?

biterror

Display problems caused by heat?

Post by biterror »

I am running xubuntu 14.04 on Intense PC Pro with 16 GB RAM, a 500 GB SSD/SATA disk and a 240 GB mSATA disk. After I installed the latest updates and rebooted xubuntu, I started having problems with Chrome web browser. After running it for 15 or 30 minutes, display updates begin to fail: only parts of the window contents are updated when scrolling or switching browser tabs. When this happens, the Intense PC case is quite hot - 50 C according to my Fluke IR thermometer.

I then rebooted xubuntu 13.04 and the problems went away - and Intense PC cooled down to 42 C or so.

It seems Chrome is using lots of CPU cycles even when idle. It has been doing this for a long time, though, but it only became a problem this week. It's not particularly hot now, less than 24 C inside. Is Intense PC supposed to work reliably even with continuous high CPU loads?

The Intense PC case is now at 47 C even though I have an open window directly above it and cool air is flowing on the PC. CPU is still 87% idle, so the load isn't very high. CPU temperature is 63-65 C, 73 C max.

mbirger

Re: Display problems caused by heat?

Post by mbirger »

Intense PC case temperature under nominal conditions is about 39-40 deg C.
If you experience heat issue please consider an RMA.

biterror

Post by biterror »

It seems the heat goes up with xubuntu 14.04, not 13.04. I just installed kernel version 3.14.8-031408-generic, but it doesn't seem to help. The system is almost idle but case temperature is 54 deg C (measured by Fluke 561 IR thermometer).

Returning the device is a problem because it is my primary computer now :-(

EDIT: sensors command reports temperatures as high as 60 deg C for core 0 and core 1 while case temperature is 54 deg C.

I am now running xubuntu 13.04 and core 0/1 are at 60 deg C (moderate load caused by google-chrome), but case temperature is below 47 deg C.

The SN of this unit is 1130131-00280.

I have a similar Intense PC at a different location, core temperatures are 40-46 deg C on that unit (with 16 GB RAM and two Samsung SSD disks). I don't know what the case temperature is.

I might buy Intense PC 2 (i7) and then RMA this one, but it seems to be out of stock :-(

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Well, 60 deg C for core is very cold.
On the other hand, it is strange that you measure 54 deg C on the case while 60 reported on the core. During nominal operating condition it is simply impossible. Some of the measurements are wrong.
You can RMA it at any time. Of course pay attention to warranty.

Regrading IPC2 - production are in a rise now as it is a new product, so there are high interest in it with a lot of orders.
Anyway, orders can be placed and it should be available back in stock in a couple of weeks.

biterror

Post by biterror »

mbirger wrote:Well, 60 deg C for core is very cold.
On the other hand, it is strange that you measure 54 deg C on the case while 60 reported on the core. During nominal operating condition it is simply impossible. Some of the measurements are wrong.
You can RMA it at any time. Of course pay attention to warranty.

Regrading IPC2 - production are in a rise now as it is a new product, so there are high interest in it with a lot of orders.
Anyway, orders can be placed and it should be available back in stock in a couple of weeks.
I swapped the two IPC's today, I'll see how the other one performs (swapped hard disks so the configuration is exactly the same). How does the RMA procedure work?

How do I place an order for IPC2? I can't select the product because they are out of stock.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

RMA procedure:
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/support/rma/

For IPC2 orders email: orders@fit-pc.com

biterror

Post by biterror »

I was running the same xubuntu version (the same disks) on the other IPC and it started acting up as well. Once, X froze completely and later, Google Chrome display updates started failing.

I have now reinstalled xubuntu 14.04 from scratch (well, /home is still the same). The system is quite hot, case temperature is about 50 deg C and cores are at 60 / 65 deg C. I don't know what causes so much heat, the CPUs are almost idle. The are two SSD disks, one Samsung 840 Pro (512 GB) and one Samsung mSATA 840 EVO (128 GB). Linux has been installed on the mSATA disk.

I have a 2560x1600 display connected to the displayport, don't know if this causes "extra" load on the system.

Anyway, it seems both my IPCs behave the same way, so maybe it's not a hardware problem after all (or both IPCs have the same problem). It's odd that an older linux version runs much cooler.

Do you have any IPC's running xubuntu 14.04 or similar? What's the case temperature / core temperatures?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

No, we don't have IPC running Ubuntu.
Anyway, case temperature at nominal conditions is about 40C.

biterror

Post by biterror »

I think my problems are some kind of driver or kernel problems as both my IPC's are acting the same with recent linux and kernel versions. With recent kernels, IPC runs much hotter and has problems with Chrome. I have tested xubuntu 14.04 and mint 17 and the latter is working a bit better, but still not completely well. I'm now on xubuntu 13.04 again.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

I can recommend to make a clean installation of Windows 7 OS and see thermal behavior then. It will be a good reference point to the nominal conditions.

Return to “Power and heat”