VNC on Mint 16

Scribe

VNC on Mint 16

Post by Scribe »

I have some difficulty with using VNC on Linux Mint 16. The standard desktop will not launch properly and fails to the fallback desktop when using DISPLAY :1 or :2 or any higher number.

This is awkward and hard to use.

----

Context: I have used VNC on both Windows and Linux for many years. It is my preferred means of remote desktop and "cloud" style computing.

From 2003 to 2010 I used VNC with Red Hat, CentOS, and Kubuntu. I had no trouble with using display :1 or higher remotely.

In 2010 or 2011 I was forced to upgrade to Ubuntu 10 due to availability of a specialized library. For the first time, the preferred VNC display was :0 and attempting to use :1 or :2 resulted in program launch misbehaviors. I had to change out my GUI to resolve the problem.

My CentOS box (also KDE) continued to behave with VNC as I was accustomed.

----

When I installed VNC on my MintBox (Mint 16 Petra, Cinnamon), I found that the virtual session would not start properly, and leaves me with the "fallback" desktop (not pretty, not really usable).

So my questions are these:

1) should I replace Cinnamon?
2) can I install a second GUI to use for displays other than :0?
3) will the upgrade to Mint 17 fix the problem with no further effort?
4) is the correct approach something different entirely?

Thanks!

mbirger

Re: VNC on Mint 16

Post by mbirger »

It's already for quite some time that we are working with Linux Mint 17, 17.2 and recently moved to 17.3.
There might be SW settings differences, therefore if you don't want to update to 17.3 at this moment, we recommend to try Linux Mint 17.3 Live USB. If it will run fine, you can consider an update to your system.

Scribe

Re: VNC on Mint 16

Post by Scribe »

Thanks.

I will locate and download a Mint 17 to create a 'Live USB' install.

Return to “Linux Mint”