Grub fails to install properly on LMDE 201403 64-bit

Sivan

Grub fails to install properly on LMDE 201403 64-bit

Post by Sivan »

Hello,

I just got my Mintbox 2 last night and went to install LMDE 201403 64-bit on an SSD and I receive the following error message at the end of the install.

"WARNING: The grub bootloader was not configured properly! You need to configure it manually."

How can I correct this so it will boot up?

The next day I went to work on this some more and the SSD would no longer boot.

The SSD is a Samsung SSD 840EVO model MZ - 7TE250. I have since restored my system back into the old computer I had and the SSD is working fine so I know it's not the SSD that was the problem.

I am also having major audio issues. There is a lot of static and hissing when playing music. So much so that I do not want to play anything. This is unacceptable and if this cannot be fixed I will be returning this unit as this seems to be a hardware defect.

Thanks

hwmartin

Re: Grub fails to install properly on LMDE 201403 64-bit

Post by hwmartin »

Hi Sivan,

Could you please dump the partition table of the SSD? I also installed a different distribution on my MintBox (though not LMDE) and my partition table looks like this:
Disk /dev/sda: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: BEEFBEEF-BEEF-BEEF-BEEF-BEEFBEEFBEEF

Device Start End Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 206847 100M EFI System
/dev/sda2 206848 976773134 465.7G Linux LVM
I know there are some issues with Debian (which LMDE is based on) correctly installing a UEFI bootloader. If the installer created an EFI system partition I can provide instructions on how to easily and successfully install grub to the EFI system partition.
Sivan wrote:I am also having major audio issues. There is a lot of static and hissing when playing music. So much so that I do not want to play anything. This is unacceptable and if this cannot be fixed I will be returning this unit as this seems to be a hardware defect.
The MintBox/Intense PC has a combined 3.5mm analog and digital audio port. The hissing you are hearing is the digital audio output. You can disable the digital audio output using either alsamixer (cli) or pavucontrol (GUI), which should get rid of the hissing noise.

HTH

Sivan

Post by Sivan »

hwmartin wrote:Hi Sivan,

Could you please dump the partition table of the SSD? I also installed a different distribution on my MintBox (though not LMDE) and my partition table looks like this:
What's the command to dump the partition table?

hwmartin

Post by hwmartin »

fdisk -l /dev/sdX
Where X is a letter identifying the disk. The identifying letter will depend on how many devices you have installed in the computer. On my MintBox, since I only have the hard drive it shipped with installed, the device is /dev/sda.

If you have a hard drive and an SSD installed you'll probably see /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. You will have to note the capacities and use them to identify which one is your SSD.

You will need to run the fdisk command as root or using sudo.

Return to “Linux Mint”