PC doesn't stay in sleep mode - network port waking it up?

csimon

PC doesn't stay in sleep mode - network port waking it up?

Post by csimon »

When I put it into sleep, it wakes up almost immediately.

I've tried diagnosing this, disallowing all devices I can think of from waking the PC up, the only thing that stops it is unplugging the network cable.

I want it to do WOL, on receipt of a magic packet. In the Power Management options of the Intel NIC I have Wake on Magic Packet turned OFF, Wake on Magic Packet from power off turned ON, Wake on Link turned OFF. As far as I can see, it should not wake up from sleep via anything.

I've tried using the secondary Realtek NIC instead which, aftre Googling, I found that you can disable wake on "pattern" which has solved other peoples' wake-up problems. But I believe in the Intense PC, the secondary NIC cannot do WOL anyway, is this correct? And the Intel NIC does not have the "pattern" option.

Any hints?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: PC doesn't stay in sleep mode - network port waking it u

Post by gabrielh »

To determinate if this is a hardware issue, try to load some "clean" OS, like Ubuntu Live CD and put you PC in the sleep mode. Check if the system will wake up spontaneously
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Will.Rubin

Post by Will.Rubin »

I had the same problem (or at least it sounds similar) a couple weeks ago for both an Intense PC Pro and Value. I was able to get things working correctly though. While I can't tell you any specific solution I can provide the following information:

You are correct in that only the Intel NIC supports wake on LAN, but the Intel NIC does have wake on pattern match.

I made sure I was using the latest drivers: version: 12.6.45.0 dated 5/15/2013.
There are four wake on LAN options (Power Management tab) which I have set as follows (x is checked):

[x] Wake on Magic Packet
[ ] Wake on Pattern Match
[x] Wake on Magic Packet from power off state
[ ] Wake on Link Settings

Maybe this will help you too.

csimon

Post by csimon »

Woohoo, touch wood, that seems to have done the trick! Thank you. I had actually already downloaded the latest driver but missed the Pattern option because it was fourth in the list that is only big enough for 3 items. :roll:

I had also downloaded Ubuntu Live as suggested above and it didn't have this sleep problem. I've read up on the Pattern option and apparently its implementation is operating system specific,which could be why this is only happening with Windows.

Return to “Win7 on Intense PC”