Audio output in Windows 8 on Intense PC

michael

Audio output in Windows 8 on Intense PC

Post by michael »

I've just set up a new Intense PC with Windows 8, and with two exceptions it was happy with the drivers bundled with Windows and did not need ones downloaded from you.

However, there's no analogue audio available and it claims that headphones and speakers are not plugged into the 3.5mm socket.
S/PDIF is listed with a green tick. HDMI audio is correctly listed as not connected (my monitor is connected with an HDMI to DVI cable).

I have tried
1) installing the Realtek driver from your site
2) disabling the S/PDIF output
3) two sets of external sound hardware and multiple cables to exclude problems there
4) your patch
5) uninstalling the Realtek driver and then trying your patch again with the Microsoft driver that Windows immediately starts using without prompting
6) uninstalling the Microsoft driver, restarting and trying your patch again

Your patch would be more useful to people if you explained which driver it was aimed at. Looks like the Microsoft one to me at the setting appears amongst a nest of other settings.

I have now spent over four hours on this and am upset. It is a beautiful and tiny computer but no use at all if it can't make any sound.
Please help.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Audio output in Windows 8 on Intense PC

Post by gabrielh »

Make sure you have installed the realtek driver from the Compulab's website.
Open regedit.exe utility and search for the forcedisablejd string. Change it's value from 00 to 01. Repeat the procedure with every string you'll find.
Restart your IntensePC and check the sound
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

JuTs

Post by JuTs »

Hi,

Ok, that works for me. Finaly I have sound. But... also a strange and annoying noise. I can hear the noise that the IntensePC produces through the speakers. Very annoying :cry:

michael

Post by michael »

Thanks Gabriel. However, Compulab's website only contains drivers for their board PCs. The only site I can find offering drivers specifically for the Intense PC is
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php?title=Download

However, the 2.68 driver offered is not the latest version and is the version I tried first after installing the operating system.

Version 2.70 is available at
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false
Download tw Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs Windows8 Driver only (Executable file) - choose 64bit or 32bit as appropriate to save time.

I ran the installer, did the registry search and mod you suggested, rebooted and now it works!

Please can you draw the attention of other purchasers to this as I estimate that I am not the only one who has spent nine hours on this, judging my the number of downloads of the registry mod.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Hello Michael

Do you have any issues with the 2.68 driver that you don't have in the 2.70 driver?
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

I got the idea to get the intense-pc with the celeron from owning an Intel NUC with the same celeron. The NUC does not come with an analog output, and I think there is a reason for this that has to do with a basic problem in the board design and the chipset that Compulab must have bought from Intel. Literally, there is no way to sense the analog sound output in Windows, although some analog sound "bleeds through" on the combination analog/spdif jack. I had been using a USB sound pnp device with the NUC, and I have transferred it now to my intense-pc setup. End of problem. Also, I am using 32-bits Windows 8 which doesn't follow the administrator's guidelines about messing with regedit, which is also a good way to ruin the system installation.

And, oh yes, even though analog sound does work in Linux, there is something wrong with the codec. I think you need to shrug your shoulders and say, "That's show business."

One more thing. I am using my fit-pc3 power supply on the intense-pc, having already discovered that my fit-pc3 power supply works just fine with the NUC (which I am going to throw away). What a great heat sink on the intense pc. The aluminum case must cost you big bucks.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

I bought an HDMI monitor to find out what I could find out, and it works flawlessly in Windows 8. If you have the realtek driver installed, go to the Device Manager and uninstall it. Then go to the Sound icon in Control Panel and you should have an HDMI icon for your monitor, meaning sound is already working. Of course, you must use an HDMI cable from the HDMI connector going to the monitor, and you either connect your analog super desktop speakers to the earphone output plug or use the monitor's built-in speakers, which are usually far inferior in sound quality.

Under Linux, there is a little dance you do with help from some alsa web site, in which you make your HDMI the default output, then adjust the volume control on your desktop speakers..

Well, what the heck, Compulab was simply ahead of the curve when it did the intense pc, and HDMI monitors replaced the old DVI-D monitors while noone was looking. If you have a DVI-D monitor, then you use an HDMI to DVI-D cable or adapter and run the system with a USB sound device as before.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

Maybe I can refine that somewhat. I went to the Intel NUC web page and downloaded the latest graphics driver for Windows 8 (32-bits on my system). It seems the driver is meant to handle a whole host of Intel graphics chipsets, including the one that the intense pc is derived from. The license statement indicates it is only licensed on an "Intel chipset", which means Intense PC also.

At any rate, the latest driver installs with no problems, except it reaches around and uninstalls my realtek sound driver. In other words, I think it disables the realtek driver on any system in which you install graphics, then realtek sound. A theory.

And, of course, don't even think of going into the registry to make audio work using the Compulab patch unless you are working in Windows 64-bit. Guaranteed you will need a fresh re-install if you do the Compulab patch in Windows 32.

actaea

Post by actaea »

I just installed Window 8 two days ago. I read through this and installed the newest 2.73 driver for Realtek, but forcedisablejd isn't in the registry. I presume that they just renamed it. Does anyone know how to get IntensePC to work with this driver or should I just go back and install the 2.70 driver?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Please use the driver on Compulab wiki pages.

Return to “Win8 on Intense PC”