Accessing GPIO's via FACE module

akashv

Accessing GPIO's via FACE module

Post by akashv »

Hi Guys,
I processed my fit-PC3 order just now and am really glad about that!
The thing that sold me the fit-PC3 was the sheer number of GPIO's on board. I went through the FACE module design package but could not find any sample designs for the GPIO's. I need to use a couple of USB's and if i could get all the 30 GPIO's out, I would be more than happy. Can somebody post a sample design for that? Some photographs of the FACE module would also help.

Once this design is done, how would I read/write these GPIO's? Any specific drivers or via Peek/Poke? I am familiar with Ubuntu, hence was thinking of installing Ubuntu instead of Mint on my fit-PC3.

Appreciate the help!!

Thanks,
Akash

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Accessing GPIO's via FACE module

Post by gabrielh »

The number of an available native GPIOs on a FitPC3/IntensePC is very limited. One of the solutions to expend the number of a GPIOs is by adding a SuperIO which communicates over I2C with a system.
We are working now on a face module with an extended number of a GPIOs. We will be able to publish the reference design in about a three weeks. The reference design will be updated on the face modules section on the FitPC website.

You can contact me anytime for an updates
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

akashv

Post by akashv »

Thanks for the reply Gabriel,
Doesn't the Fit-PC3 have 30 GPIOs (according to the face module design package and specs on http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc/fit-pc3-info/#techinfo)? This should be more than enough for my application, if the SuperIO can give additional features like an ADC, CAN, RS485 that would be awesome...

I guess the Intense PC has lesser number of GPIOs, for that we would definitely need a SuperIO controller.
I want to make a face module pcb very soon to interface the onboard 30 GPIOs on my Fit-PC3. Keep me posted on the new reference design and also for the existing onboard GPIOs.

Thanks,
Akash

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Only the Fit-PC3 models have more then 20 available GPIOs. We don't provide the driver for the GPIOs but we can give all the relevant information and help build such driver.

The SuperIO extended features, are depended on the SuperIO chip. You can use your favorite.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

akashv

Post by akashv »

Can you post some info which could help us to develop the drivers?
The GPIOs are from the A55E chipset, right? Please post the developer docs/links for it. I will keep you posted on the driver progress.

Also, how is the development of the new face module with extended number of a GPIOs, coming along?

opencompany

Post by opencompany »

gabrielh wrote:The number of an available native GPIOs on a FitPC3/IntensePC is very limited. One of the solutions to expend the number of a GPIOs is by adding a SuperIO which communicates over I2C with a system.
We are working now on a face module with an extended number of a GPIOs. We will be able to publish the reference design in about a three weeks. The reference design will be updated on the face modules section on the FitPC website.

You can contact me anytime for an updates
Hi Gabriel.
Could you please post an update on the GPIO FACE-module?

We can definitely see potential in this FACE-module!

Thanks.
Kind Regards,
Kevin Peter Gade

CompuLab Nordic A/S (www.compulabnordic.dk)
Danish distributor of fit-PC and other products from CompuLab since 2008.

opencompany

Post by opencompany »

Maybe the same FACE-module could include a solution for extending the Power button - see http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=4964
Kind Regards,
Kevin Peter Gade

CompuLab Nordic A/S (www.compulabnordic.dk)
Danish distributor of fit-PC and other products from CompuLab since 2008.

Return to “General FACE Module questions”