Windows Server 2012R2 on Fit-PC4

pdavis

Windows Server 2012R2 on Fit-PC4

Post by pdavis »

We have been running Windows Server 2008R2 on Fit-PC3 now for a few years with no problem. For that we used the Fit-PC3 Windows7 drivers and they successfully installed on the Fit-PC3 under Windows Server 2008R2, giving us network.
Now we purchased some Fit-PC4, thinking that the same sort of thing would work. We tried installing Windows Server 2008R2 and using then using the Windows7 drivers for Fit-PC4 with no joy.
We saw that Intel does not even support the I211 network card on Windows Server 2008R2, so guessed the hardware is too new for 2008R2 - no problem.
Then we installed Windows Server 2012R2. The I211 network card is on the support list for 2012R2. A default 2012R2 install does not find the network card.
We ran the Fit-PC4 Windows8 network driver installer - it told us no network card found.
We downloaded the official Intel driver installer for 2012R2 and ran that. Actually it looked just like the one from the Fit-PC4 download page. No joy with that either - no network card found.
The 2 network devices do show up in device manager - just don't have drivers found.
Has anyone got a Fit-PC4 to run any version of Windows Server and use the network card?

pdavis

Re: Windows Server 2012R2 on Fit-PC4

Post by pdavis »

I also just tried installing VMware ESXi 6.0.0 and it tells me "No network adapters were detected".
Is there a VM hypervisor that will install on Fit-PC4?
Then I can run Windows Server inside that.
What is so special/different about the network hardware in Fit-PC4 that standard things like latest ESXi and Windows Server do not find the Intel network hardware?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

We're checking this ...

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Unfortunately we do not know to deal with Windows Server OS on fit-PC4 which uses Intel I211 chips, as stated in product specs.
Please refer to the below - Supported Intel Gigabit Server Devices:
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-X9-UP_1.23 ... ad_1gs.htm
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWOR ... 2012.shtml

pdavis

Post by pdavis »

I is a pity that good hardware like Fit-PC4 gets built but driver support for Windows Server is not thought about/checked. Hardware like this seems a good fit for remote office/small office server, able to use direct 12V DC from a solar/battery, fanless, robust, reliable.
We have found that XenServer hypervisor is working on Fit-PC4, and Windows Server 2012 R2 or 2008 R2 (and probably any other recent Windows Server version) runs appily in a VM on top. So that is what we will have to do. Maybe it will be a good thing in the end - forcing us to take the step into running VMs instead of real hardware.

Msource

Post by Msource »

If you're having problems getting the Intel I211 network driver to install on Server 2012 R2, it's not officially supported by Intel but there is a workaround. I followed the instructions on this page and got it to work under Server 2012 R2.

http://atomic-station.blogspot.com/2015 ... 11-at.html

I hope it helps someone.

-Kent

Return to “Windows on fit-PC4”