Gentoo Linux

Arwen

Re: Gentoo Linux

Post by Arwen »

The fitlet-H that I use as a media server continues to work great. Monthly updates of the OS and other application packages run smooth due to ZFS and alternate boot environments. The amount of storage still works, (1TB mSATA + 2TB 2.5" HDD).

Even though it's not as fast as my desktop, the amount of packages updated each month is trivial, since I never loaded GUI programs. Only the packages needed for the use intended, media services and a bit of misc. apps like printing, NTP and internal web server. (Of course not all packages need updating each month...)

Eventually I will need to upgrade the storage to support more movies or T.V. serials. I hope I can find something suitable then. At present, the OS is mirrored using a 24GB partition from each disk. And the rest is concatenated as a single 2.6TB volume for my media, (1.7TB / 64% used).

The fit-Uptime UPS was a good purchase. I've had perhaps 15 short term power outages in the last 1.5 years. My fitlet-H survived without issues each and every time.

All in all, a perfect purchase for this use.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

Return to “Linux on MintBox Mini / Linux on fitlet”