Mint Mini How to-> Headless? VPN Only?

JimRPh

Mint Mini How to-> Headless? VPN Only?

Post by JimRPh »

I just ordered my Mint Mini.

I want to operate it as headless (no monitor, keyboard, mouse; controlled from my main PC).
Can anyone tell me how to set this up?

I want to have it limited to internet access only through a VPN (PIA or Vyper, preferably).
Again, I'd appreciate guidance.

I have some limited Ubuntu experience, but not Mint. My main PC is a Mac Mini.

My intended use for the Mint Mini is to manage files between my Mac Mini, a QNAP NAS and cloud storage. I like multiple backups, but the Mac Mini is underpowered and I want to take the file management load off of it. Any suggestions for backup software? Support for rsync is a plus.

Thanks much!

hassellbear

Re: Mint Mini How to-> Headless? VPN Only?

Post by hassellbear »

Would VNC work for your purposes?

The post listed below includes an implementation of headless VNC. Just ignore/omit the Power Over Ethernet parts.

http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=5731

Best regards and good luck.

hassellbear

JimRPh

Post by JimRPh »

Thanks hassellbear. I think that is what I need. Though, I find myself in the unfamiliar Newb seat. I can't figure out how to edit the intend.conf file as it only opens as read only, and says I'm not the owner. Without going through all the steps, trying to connect from another PC fails with x11vnc saying my password is wrong. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!

hassellbear

Post by hassellbear »

Hi Jim,

I think I see what is preventing you from editing the file inetd.conf. I am using gedit as the editor in this example, but this technique should work for any editor.

If you issue the command gedit inetd.conf the file opens as a read only, and no edits are possible

However, if you execute the same command as a superuser (using the sudo prefix) the file opens with full editing rights. Try the command sudo gedit inetd.conf

Best regards and good luck,
Hassellbear

JimRPh

Post by JimRPh »

Thanks again hassellbear. VNC is now working great. I'm too spoiled by GUI on my Mac. I forgot about using sudo, and I didn't know the name of the text editor to use. Nice save!

I'm on now to figuring out the VPN now, and you've given me confidence to move forward.

Return to “Linux on MintBox Mini / Linux on fitlet”