Linux Mint 18 install on Fitlet-T barebone

Abuhannibal

Linux Mint 18 install on Fitlet-T barebone

Post by Abuhannibal »

hey folks... am about to pull the trigger on a Fitlet-T, I have selected an msata ssd and RAM from the compatibility list. Anything to be aware of when installing from the standard Mint image on a USB stick or cd? If I need to install the radeon drivers, can I do that after the basic OS install? Thanks in advance!!

irads

Re: Linux Mint 18 install on Fitlet-T barebone

Post by irads »

Thank you for your interest in fitlet-T.
Mint 18 installation instructions: http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... ux_Mint_18

Radeon drivers are installed afterwards: http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... cs_drivers

Abuhannibal

Post by Abuhannibal »

Outstanding, I am good to go then, thanks!

Abuhannibal

Post by Abuhannibal »

Ordered. One final question - I will be using this as a headless server; for this model with Mint do I need the display emulator? Would probably use teamviewer for Linux. Thanks!

irads

Post by irads »

It will certainly work WITH fit-Headless. Most likely you will see more display options with fit-Headless. I am not sure it is necessary or not. I suggest you ask on Teamviewer or Mint forums.

Abuhannibal

Post by Abuhannibal »

Thanks, OK, will try it first without. FWIW I haven't generally had problems with Teamviewer on headless systems, so far anyway.

In other matters, do you have any resellers in the Jerusalem area? (Already ordered from Amazon in the US but I may have need for another one or two..)

Abuhannibal

Post by Abuhannibal »

Got my Fitlet-T and set it up with a 120gb m.2 for the OS and 960gb ssd for music files. Linux install was a breeze. Only weirdness I encountered was that Linux wanted to see my 960gb OCZ SSD as having two partitions for some reason; almost like someone had tried to set up the drive before. Being not familiar with how Linux's Disk utility handles this I took the drive out and connected it to a windows machine and used the diskpart utility to zap what was on it. Put it back in the Fitlet and Mint now sees it as one 960gb partition. Not sure how this came to pass but it's all dealt with. Very nice little machine, seems to run pretty cool and I am looking forward to using it as a Jriver server in my office!

I still have it connected to a monitor but will report back on whether it works better with the display emulator plugged in with Teamviewer.

Abuhannibal

Post by Abuhannibal »

Following up on my prior message - the display emulator does not seem to make any difference with the Fitlet-T running Mint via Teamviewer. (Which is to say that it works fine, and the same way, with or without it.) YMMV. I may try it on some of my other machines...

Return to “Linux on MintBox Mini / Linux on fitlet”