Mouse issues when using fit Headless GS

HDMI display emulator for remote desktop to a headless PC with GPU enabled
levman

Mouse issues when using fit Headless GS

Post by levman »

I am using the Headless GS on my MacBook Pro to improve the performance and graphics resolution when using OSX Screen Sharing. In my configuration, the MacBook is closed (Wake on Lan activated so it is reachable with the lid closed) and am running Screen Sharing on a 27" iMac. The Headless GS is plugged into the HDMI port. I've tested the connection over both Wifi and Thunderbird connections.

When I first connect - with the lid on the MacBook open or closed - I am unable to move the mouse pointer using the iMac's mouse within the Screen Sharing window. It appears near the top of the screen but I cannot move it.

I've discovered that if I first move the mouse on the MacBook trackpad, it works fine, and from this point onward I can move the pointer from the iMac's mouse.

I can also make this happen by switching the Screen Sharing session from windowed to full screen. And once it disappears, I can't get it back even by switching back to windowed,

Oddly, I've discovered that I can get it back by switching Screen Sharing from Adaptive Quality to Full Quality, then back to Adaptive Quality. At least, I was able to do that one time, so far.

I don't seem to have this problem when using Screen Sharing without the Headless GS plugged in.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? The MacBook usually will not be accessible to me, so moving the pointer via the built in trackpad is a non-starter.

Thanks!

levman

Re: Mouse issues when using fit Headless GS

Post by levman »

An update: this is an issue with OSX Screen Sharing, not with the Headless GS. I've discovered that I can recreate the issue - with or without the Headless GS - simply by resizing the Screen Sharing window. Swapping from Adaptive to Full and back corrects the issue.

Still, if anyone knows the cause of this, I'd appreciate any tips!

tamir
Site Admin

Re: Mouse issues when using fit Headless GS

Post by tamir »

the fit-headless functionality is quite simple.
It simply emulated the EDID handshake the monitor should communicate to the GPU under normal circumstance when there's an actual monitor connected.
Then, the GPU can provide the resolutions as per the screen's capabilities.

Hope the above information somewhat helps you.

Return to “fit-Headless and fit-Headless 4K”