Bios Upgrade Issue

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

tibere86

Bios Upgrade Issue

Post by tibere86 »

I am having a hard time updating my Bios to the latest version FLT2.0.40.02.00. I followed the directions, moved the required files to the root of my USB drive, but every time I select "Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device" option, my filet2 launches the EFI shell, but after 5 seconds, it just ends up booting my OS. Any suggestions? I have tried multiple USB drives.

tamir
Site Admin

Re: Bios Upgrade Issue

Post by tamir »

Due to several issues, the fitlet2 will roll back to FLT2.0.40.01.00 until further notice.

I assumed you followed the below:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet2:_BIOS_Update

Please try to download the packages again and follow the guide.
Choosing to boot from the external device EFI shell from the BIOS menu should be straight forward.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

petersh wrote:I faced this issue before, but after several times trying to upgrade, it has been successful. However, on my computer, it doesn't show any notifications
I have to check again to make sure my Bios is upgraded
The BIOS version should be visible from the main menu

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

The Wiki was unclear of whether the user should hit or not the ESC button.
The user should not hit the ESC button.
It is then when the script searches for the correct device automatically.

tibere86

Post by tibere86 »

tamir wrote:The Wiki was unclear of whether the user should hit or not the ESC button.
I am still facing this issue. If I do not hit the ESC button, the OS just ends up booting up. No BIOS update gets initiated.
What I did try to do is hit ESC, then type "flash flt2.bin" at the Shell command line. This gives me an error that says "30 - error. File could not be read". Any help on how to successfully upgrade our Bios would be great.

fred44nl

Post by fred44nl »

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

tibere86 wrote:
tamir wrote:The Wiki was unclear of whether the user should hit or not the ESC button.
I am still facing this issue. If I do not hit the ESC button, the OS just ends up booting up. No BIOS update gets initiated.
What I did try to do is hit ESC, then type "flash flt2.bin" at the Shell command line. This gives me an error that says "30 - error. File could not be read". Any help on how to successfully upgrade our Bios would be great.
Please make sure you follow the instructions of the BIOS guide step by step.

Make sure you downloaded the updater package and extract its content to the thumb drive (Formatted in FAT32)

If followed correctly, the following files should be present in the thumb drive:
AfuEfix64.efi
Flash.nsh
Shellx64.efi
Startup.nsh

At this stage, the thumb drive is still not ready to flash the BIOS, you'd need the BIOS package, which you also copy into the thumb drive's root folder.

At the end, you should see the flt.bin file as well with the rest of the files mentioned above.

Keep following the instructions as in the guide for flashing the BIOS:
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... IOS_Update

tibere86

Post by tibere86 »

tamir wrote:
tibere86 wrote:
Please make sure you follow the instructions of the BIOS guide step by step.

Make sure you downloaded the updater package and extract its content to the thumb drive (Formatted in FAT32)

If followed correctly, the following files should be present in the thumb drive:
AfuEfix64.efi
Flash.nsh
Shellx64.efi
Startup.nsh

At this stage, the thumb drive is still not ready to flash the BIOS, you'd need the BIOS package, which you also copy into the thumb drive's root folder.

At the end, you should see the flt.bin file as well with the rest of the files mentioned above.

Keep following the instructions as in the guide for flashing the BIOS:
Thanks for all the replies. I was able to upgrade last night manually. There is something wrong with Bios Upgrade files provided.

This is what I did:
1) Copied flt2.bin and the Bios Updater package files to my USB drive and inserted it into my filet2.
2) Press the DEL key during the boot until the BIOS Setup appears
3) Browse to the Save & Exit menu
4) Click on the Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device option
5) The system will boot to the EFI Shell and press ESC during the
countdown to get to the Shell command line.
6) Note where your removeable disc is located. Mine was located at fs1.
7) At the Shell command line, type flash fs1:flt2.bin . The Flashing process will start.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

Glad to hear it sorted out.

It is important to check the integrity of the files that you download, you can always use the MD5 check provided in package download page for proper validation.

Mikael63

Post by Mikael63 »

Curious :geek:
Is info provided here:
or info provided from @tibere86 here in this thread the most correct way to update BIOS :?:
Good to know before trying...
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”