MintBox network trouble at launch

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

Ignatius

MintBox network trouble at launch

Post by Ignatius »

Hello with a warning. I am not at all an expert on this.
I got on Friday a MintBox Mini2 Pro. Everything has been connected without a hitch with the exception of the network.

I am writing from my old laptop, with Linux Mint, connected via ethernet cable to a Devolo powerline extension of the cable modem. When I try to do the same in each of the MintBox ports, I get disconnected and the message: cable unplugged. When I try to connect wireless, it detects the network, I put in the password and it disconnects.

I have tried different cables and it doesn't work. Various devices are connected in the house at present and in the past, with Linux or other OS.

Anyone has a suggestion to sort out this issue? I would appreciate very much your help.

tamir
Site Admin

Re: MintBox network trouble at launch

Post by tamir »

Does the behavior changes when you connect the MBM2 directly to the cable modem ?

Ignatius

Post by Ignatius »

Thank you for your interest, Tamir.

Yes. I did check on Saturday and I have done it again after reading your post. I have connected the ethernet cable to the modem and I got the same 'cable unplugged' message. On wireless the same refusal to connect, with 100% signal reception by the modem.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

Ignatius wrote:Thank you for your interest, Tamir.

Yes. I did check on Saturday and I have done it again after reading your post. I have connected the ethernet cable to the modem and I got the same 'cable unplugged' message. On wireless the same refusal to connect, with 100% signal reception by the modem.
Thank you for your reply, I see that you've already contacted us by email but since we are already corresponding here, I'll continue unless you'd choose otherwise.

Does this behavior seen on both Ethernet ports?

I'd suggest you to try the following:

1. See if you get the same behavior with Linux mint Live USB
2. Update Kernel
3. Restore default on BIOS:
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... leshooting
4. Re-install Linux mint - http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/In ... ux_Mint_19

Ignatius

Post by Ignatius »

Thank you, Tamir.

I will have no time today or tomorrow to work on this. I will post a reply when I have done what you suggest.

Ignatius

Post by Ignatius »

I gave it a go today, Tamir.

I do not know how to update the kernel without connection but I tried with a live usb, I restored defaults in BIOS and finally installed Linux Mint 19 again. But no change. The interfaces for network connections are all down.

I am sending you this from a laptop with Linux Mint 17.3. All is connected to the same router and never had trouble. I am a bit lost about what to do next.

Thank you for your advice.
I.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

Please provide a dmesg log from the shell.
Also try to update the machine BIOS to the latest by following the below guide:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet2:_BIOS_Update

Mikael63

Post by Mikael63 »

Just a small note, about disabled wireless at startup.

At the beginning, with this issue, I used

Code: Select all

sudo service network-manager restart
and/or

Code: Select all

sudo service network-manager stop
sudo service network-manager start
Above can help, but the solution for me was:
Option 2: Make Keyring password Blank
Step 1) Launch ‘Terminal’ and enter the following command. Elementary OS users may need to first enable PPA before attempting below command. Ubuntu 17.10 comes with seahorse pre-installed, so you may see output that “seahorse is already the newest version…’.
sudo apt-get install seahorse
Step 2) After the installation is complete, launch “seahorse” from programs.
Step 3) Right-click on “Login” and select “Change Password”.
Step 4) Enter the old password when you see the pop-up. Then leave the new password field blank. Don’t enter even space. Click ‘Continue’.
Leave the New Password Blank
Step 5) You should see an obvious warning pop-up that passwords will be unencrypted. Click ‘Continue’.
That’s it! Restart your computer for the setting to take effect. Next time you launch Chrome or Chromium browser, you should not see keyring request.
https://www.fosslinux.com/2561/how-to-d ... x-mint.htm

Note: "seahorse" is in LM19 Cinnamon called "Passwords and keys" (translated back from Swedish)
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

Ignatius

Post by Ignatius »

Thank you, Tamir and Mikael63

I run into a grub command page that I did not feel comfortable about when my fresh install of Mint 19 repeatedly crashed. I had to ask for help in a shop with linux expertise. I got a fresh install and the BIOS update but no connection.

I had to delete the keyring passwords as my old password was rejected in the dialogue of Passwords and keys. But after trying Mikael63 suggestions, no connection.

A screenshot of the dmesg log attached.

Than you for your help.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2118-10-25 09-17-47.png
Screenshot from 2118-10-25 09-17-47.png (242.42 KiB) Viewed 9677 times

Mikael63

Post by Mikael63 »

Can you use your mobile phone as a hotspot?

Just for testing, totally outside your home network.
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”