GPU disabled if booted without HDMI connected?

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

red

GPU disabled if booted without HDMI connected?

Post by red »

As far as I can tell, if the fitlet2 posts without having a HDMI cable connected (headless), that the GPU is disabled. Is that correct?

I want to have it as a headless machine, but if for whatever reason I need to access the ESXi/pfSense/etc console and connect a HDMI cable, the monitor isn't coming out of standby. Is there a BIOS setting to force enable the GPU always?

Thanks.

tamir
Site Admin

Re: GPU disabled if booted without HDMI connected?

Post by tamir »

Regarding the first phrase, that is correct.
GPU will be disabled if it doesn't have EDID information.
On the second phrase you are describing a common problem and for most cases fit-headless could be a suitable solution.

Here's a the Fit-headless product page for your reference:
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-headless/

red

Post by red »

Thanks very much, tamir! I'll check them out.

albi90

Post by albi90 »

I'm using Fitlet2 devices with Windows 10 IOT core for a digital signage solution and so far they are working great, except when windows forces an update and the device restarts + the TV has been turned off at night, is there no way to disable the requirement for and HDMI connection in the bios?

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

albi90 wrote:I'm using Fitlet2 devices with Windows 10 IOT core for a digital signage solution and so far they are working great, except when windows forces an update and the device restarts + the TV has been turned off at night, is there no way to disable the requirement for and HDMI connection in the bios?
Perhaps using the fit-headless in this case would be a good idea:

albi90

Post by albi90 »

tamir wrote:
albi90 wrote:I'm using Fitlet2 devices with Windows 10 IOT core for a digital signage solution and so far they are working great, except when windows forces an update and the device restarts + the TV has been turned off at night, is there no way to disable the requirement for and HDMI connection in the bios?
Perhaps using the fit-headless in this case would be a good idea:
Unfortunately that wont help in my case as I need the devices connected to a digital display which is on most of the time but some times the displays get shut off at night and if the fitlet2 restarts to do an update during this time then the display never comes back up (meaning we get a support call the next day)

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

We'll check with the BIOS Engineer if there's an option you could configure that could mediate this.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

We ran a test with the fitlet2 with the same OS on both HDMI and DP display output in the following way:

1. booted up the Windows
2. just before starting, we shut off the monitor
3. rebooted blindly and waited for the OS to load back up
4. turn back on the monitor.

In both cases (HDMI and DP) the screen woke up with display.

We're using a generic IPS LED LG desktop screen.

albi90

Post by albi90 »

I actually ran the same test here and got similar results, so it might be some thing todo with the display hardware instore.

Return to “fitlet2 hardware”