Still confused about the video...

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
LMacNeill

Still confused about the video...

Post by LMacNeill »

Ok, it seems to me that since this thing does DVI on the HDMI connector, it'd be a simple matter of buying an HDMI-to-DVI converter, and attaching a DVI-to-VGA converter to that. Total cost, $20 or less.

I don't really get why everyone is saying we need a super-expensive $125 converter box -- unless the Fit-PC2 *doesn't* actually support DVI, in which case I'd understand that. But the spec's clearly state it *does* support DVI. So which is it?

I'd like to hear from irads on this one -- haven't heard a word from him about all these video questions.

yogev_ezra

Re: Still confused about the video...

Post by yogev_ezra »

It supports only DVI-D (digital). So no analog signals come out.
The simple 10$ adapters just change one connector type to another connector type, they cannot "create" signals out of nowhere.
This is why for VGA you need a converter, which is "creating" analog signals out of digital signals that come from Fit-PC2.

LMacNeill

Post by LMacNeill »

So there's no way to get it to support DVI-I? Would that require different software, perhaps? Or is it a hardware issue?

And how much would it cost to make those changes so it does support DVI-I? Seems to me that paying an extra couple of bucks for DVI-I hardware would make it *far* easier on the end user...

What's the possiblity of that happening?

EDIT: Also, every one of the adapters I've found will go from an Analog VGA input to a Digital HDMI output -- but not the other way around! So where do you buy the appropriate adapter -- one that goes from HDMI input to VGA output?

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

I cant help with the addition of DVI-I, but re: HDMI-VGA converters, see
"http://www.thegametrain.com/hdfury-1080 ... q4moda3q06

and

"http://www.pcwb.co.uk/catalogue/item/A0 ... dp=Froogle"

for examples.

Hope that helps.

Benjamin
Fit-PC UK

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Or check this on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SA:US:1123
NEW PS3 DVI-D/HDMI to RGB RCA Component Video Converter
I just bought it for me as well. But I cannot guarantee it will work since I did not receive it yet. If you want to be absolutely sure it will work for you, then you might want to wait till I get it myself and post here.

However what is true with both my and UK's distributor offer, that you need to spend around 100$ on it and cannot get it any cheaper.

ender

Post by ender »

LMacNeill wrote:Or is it a hardware issue?
It's a hardware issue.
LMacNeill wrote:And how much would it cost to make those changes so it does support DVI-I? Seems to me that paying an extra couple of bucks for DVI-I hardware would make it *far* easier on the end user...
Maybe, but where would you put the connector?

Return to “Display interface”