transmit video signal

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
burnster

transmit video signal

Post by burnster »

Hello guys,

i've got an question to the wifi signal. Is it possible to connect an HD Signal (maybe a blue Ray Player) to the fit-PC2 and transmit it with the wireless lan aerial and watch this with my laptop somewhere else?

In the best case, i connect your fit-PC2 to an camera which has high definition out. Transmit it without boring cables and set up a computer for the director where he can watch it in HD. Is that possible?? And how "strong" is the compression, how many MB/s comes out?

(ohh my english isn't the best)

kind regards from Germany

fluffycloud

Re: transmit video signal

Post by fluffycloud »

OK, so, theoreticly, you could use some sort of video capture card to connect the camera to, and that piece of hardware will define the compression and how many MB/s comes out, and it will transmit data to the fit-pc2 (via usb?)... at whcih point, you could network a pair of fit-pc2's together, wirelessly, and read the compressed video file via nfs or 'windows file sharing' and play it on another computer elsewhere.

Sure, that's possible. But it doesn't have a lot to do with the fit-pc2, any computer could do that with enough extra hardware surrounding it.

There's also a bunch of hardware devices on the market that will wirelessly transmit a video signal so you can plug in a video source to device 'a1', and a video display to device 'a2' and not worry about video capture, formats, or wifi, or file sharing at all. No computers involved at all, infact.

-Fluffy

burnster

Post by burnster »

hey Fluffy,

thanks for this quick answer... but, don't get me wrong. I don't want to use an extra videocapture card. Because if i connect this fit-PC to an camera which is mounted on a steadycam, it must be light an pocketsize. So can't i connect the camera to the fit-PC (DVI in) and transmit it? Do i need an extra capture card between camera and fit-PC? :roll:

An other question is, does it transmit in HD, or is it compressed in SD? I never saw a system like this.

I know that there are a lot of other opinions to transmit it, but the advantage of this system is that every computer with wifi can receive it. So i don't need special receivers (which are expensive).

thanks

fluffycloud

Post by fluffycloud »

Well, after reviewing the specs on the fit-pc2, I havn't been able to find any sort of dvi-in port on it, have you? the hdmi port adapter on it is only dvi-out, i don't think this device includes any sort of native video capture capability.

I don't know what the capabilities of your camera are either. Some digital cameras I know have firewire cables on them to allow them to directly record to a computer, but alas, the fit-pc2 lacks firewire as well. If your camera had an ethernet port or a usb port then you could probably connect them directly, anything else would require some additional hardware, probably USB based. I'm sure small and lightweight variants of such things are available though, so don't let that deter you.

As for your transmission question... Er, it transmits data via it's wifi connection, not video. It will happily transmit any data you tell it to. If you have a video file in SD it will transmit that, if you have a video file in HD, it will transmit that.

As for you not having seen a device like this before, I wager you have. It is much like the computer you're using to post to these forums, only much smaller and using much less power. If you could do whatever it is you want with your desktop PC, you could probably find a way to make a fit-pc2 work in a similar fashion.

Have you worked out how you'd use a normal desktop computer to serve your needs? Assume you have a pet gorilla to carry around a generator and a spare computer or two, and think what you'd use a normal computer for in your situation, then substitute in the fit-pc2 and a battery pack.

I apologize in advance if my writings don't make any sense, I am trying to help, but I'm a little confused by what you're trying to do.

-FluffyCloud

burnster

Post by burnster »

Oh, ok. Your absolutly right, it has no DVI in. The question with the HD or SD signal i meant if the bandwith is able to handle HD which is compressed to 35 MB/s or 25MB/s (HDV).

Ok i see that you're a little confused, me too. I think my "main" problem is, that i don't really know in which way can i use the wifi at fit-pc? It is a computer ok, and it has also an harddrive disk, good. Is the reson for the wifi aerial, to receive files from another computer or to send? It is more about an external Storage with wifi and DVI out, so it is a media Harddrive.

ok. i think in knew my problem now.

thanks a lot fluffy

PS: i thought it also has a capture function and HD inputs... ok, i don't need this. Bye

Return to “Display interface”