Ubuntu 9.04, video problems, help!

scotte

Ubuntu 9.04, video problems, help!

Post by scotte »

Video under 32-bit Ubuntu 9.04 worked perfectly until a recent update. As a result, nothing I've tried from any web site has helped restore video to its proper resolution.

So, what to do...

CentOS 5 has decent video capability and performance out of the box.

I experimented with xdmcp from a "broken" Ubuntu 9.04 pc to a Windows XP system (I have a few fit-pc2 machines) but video resolution just lacked via xdmcp. The monitors have higher resolution than what was being displayed.

So, I may just archive the single user's data from the Ubunto PC, convert the Ubuntu PC to CentOS, restore their data, and have a better day.

I just wish video wasn't such a hassle!

Other ideas welcome.

Thanks.

belcat

Re: Ubuntu 9.04, video problems, help!

Post by belcat »

I have a similar problem with Ubunto 9.04. Xfree always wants to over-drive the monitor, it tries to put 1600x1200, but the monitor only supports 1280x1200. I've tried putting refresh rate (HorizSync & VertRefresh) but it just ignores them. If I put the Fit-PC2 on my 21" then I can see it, but if I change the resolution to 1280x1024, the minute I disconnect the monitor cable, it flips it back to 1600x1200 :roll:
I tried to turn off the DDC but then it just picked something worse.
So far I can't get X working.

scotte

Re: Ubuntu 9.04, video problems, help!

Post by scotte »

I found the answer, for me, to be with a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 from an ISO image from ubuntu.com. Native video is excellent for me, considering what other versions, distros, and regular updates do to mangle video. Kudos to fit-pc2 for pointing out the kernel boot option of all_generic_ide.

I know there is another area on the board that talks the user through an out-of-box 8.04 install and then tweaking it to fit-pc2's own kernel and updates. I prefer as out-of-box as possible, and I've got that.

Return to “Ubuntu 9.04”