fit-PC2i Measured Power

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
the suicidal eggroll

fit-PC2i Measured Power

Post by the suicidal eggroll »

I couldn't find any solid numbers when I was researching, so I thought I would provide my measurements for anybody else who's interested.

System: fit-PC2i, 2GHz, 2GB, Wifi Diskless with Intel SSDSA2CT040G3K5 40GB SSD
Setup: Linux Mint 9 with fit-PC kernel, audio disabled in BIOS

"Idle" means terminal open, watching top, nothing going on
"Active" means I'm running an acquisition process that consumes about 90% of the CPU and is writing to disk at about 2.7MB/s

Current/Power measurements taken using the lab 12v power supply. Note that using the provided AC->DC converter will raise these numbers due to power supply inefficiencies.

Full Operating Config (USB keyboard, USB mouse, HDMI->DVI->1920x1080 LCD, at the Mint desktop, eth0 connected and active, wifi board powered but down (ifconfig wlan0 down))
Idle: 635mA (7.62W)
Active: 745mA (8.94W)

No keyboard, no mouse, no monitor, eth0 connected and active, wifi board powered but down (ifconfig wlan0 down)
Idle: 505mA (6.06W)
Active: 615mA (7.38W)

No keyboard, no mouse, no monitor, eth0 powered but down (ifconfig eth0 down), wifi board powered but down (ifconfig wlan0 down), communication through serial console
Idle: 455mA (5.46W)
Active: 560mA (6.72W)

No keyboard, no mouse, no monitor, SDIO disabled in BIOS, eth0 (PCIe) disabled in BIOS, wifi board powered but down (ifconfig wlan0 down), communication through serial console
Idle: 435mA (5.22W)
Active: 540mA (6.48W)

cbgoodbuddy

Re: fit-PC2i Measured Power

Post by cbgoodbuddy »

Nice results. Thanks for posting!

monnier

Re: fit-PC2i Measured Power

Post by monnier »

For people interested in power consumption including the power-supply, here's what I recently measured with my kill-a-watt. The machine is a fit-pc2, 1.6GHz, 1GB, with a 1600x1200 display, a keyboard (with integrated touchpad and trackpoint), a mouse, an external self-powered USB drive, a USB-to-ethernet dongle, both ethernet connected and up, and with wifi inactive (ifconfig wlan0 down), internal 120GB Vertex SSD drive, running a stock Debian testing:

off: 2.4W
suspend: 2.5W
idle: 10W (pf = 50%)
CPU load: 12W

where "idle" means "with a whole bunch of idle processes (xterm, emacs, firefox, ...) but with a CPU use fairly close to 0%", and CPU load means CPU use is at 100% running a computation intensive program with a bit if disk activity as well.

Return to “Power and Heat”