Overheating Issue

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
macerkiste

Overheating Issue

Post by macerkiste »

Hi there

I'm using the Fit-PC2 running WinXP and I'm experiencing some serious overheating issues. After running approx. 1.5h the HD reaches 50°C (S.M.A.R.T. reading) and the system automatically shuts down.

I cannot explain this behavior since I'm really (!) not doing anything special. Basically it's only used for browsing websites (with FF). I'm seeing this behavior hooked up via HDMI directly to a TV as well as hooked up to a VGA Monitor in combination with HD Fury.

Is there any explanation for the overheating that could solve this issue? This way the Fit-PC2 isn't really useful for me.

Any help is highly appreciated - I need the HW for a trade-show next week.

Thanks!

irads

Re: Overheating Issue

Post by irads »

45°C case temperature is normal for fit-PC2. Hard disk can work well over 50°C - it is rated for 60°C and works well above that.
I don't think the shut-down you are seeing is heat related. It may be either
- not a shutdown but going to standby due to inactivity. You can change the power settings to prevent that.
- Faulty hard disk, in that case we can replace it.

macerkiste

Post by macerkiste »

irads, thanks for the reply!

1) I don't think it's standby since the system really crashes (freezes, restarts or completely shuts down).
2) Faulty HD might be a possibility in this case

However, is there a way to check whether the crashes could be memory-related (faulty or overheating), since you're saying the HD should work properly even beyond 60°C?

BTW: when running ubuntu the system crashes even faster (approx. 0.5h)

Thanks!

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

If you put another HD there, you will know for sure if it's HD problem or not. Replacing HD does not void the warranty, so if you have a spare HD lying somewhere (or even can "borrow" your laptop's HD for a few hours), you would be able to check it.

irads

Post by irads »

System crash may be caused by many factors, but shouldn't happen anyway.
Please email rma@fit-pc.com to replace your unit.

macerkiste

Post by macerkiste »

Thanks to the outstanding service of risc, from whom I ordered the Fit-PC2 here in Switzerland, I got my faulty unit replaced yesterday.

Since I'm not experiencing any more irregluar shutdowns or system freezes so far, everything seems to be fine. I am one more happy customer, now! ;)

wmnelis

Post by wmnelis »

I am experiencing a similar issue.

The machine frequently locks up. I can move the mouse, but cannot click on anything. Then the monitor (TV in my case) goes blank. I have to unplug the fit-pc2 to get it to shut off.

However, I only seem to get a crash when the processor is being used heavily (>90%?) for a few minutes. Unfortunately I bought a hard drive separately and I do not have another 2.5 inch hard drive to test the unit with. Is there anything I can do to see if it is the hard drive or the fit-pc2 itself? Since this only seems to happen under heavy CPU load I doubt it is the hard drive, but I wanted to check before returning the fit-pc2.

Thanks.

irads

Post by irads »

This is unlikely to be a disk related issue.
Does the lock up happen with a random SW loading the CPU or always with the same one?
If the latter - it could be a driver issue, then replacing the HW will not solve the problem. Since you are using your HDD you must have done the installation yourself and may have missed something. Before proceeding RMA I suggest you do some further testing.

wmnelis

Post by wmnelis »

I did run some tests on the hard drive and it appears to be just fine. The lockups have happened so far with 3 different applications, VLC Media Player, Totem Media Player, and Firefox. I am running Ubuntu (I followed the install procedures in the manual, installed to the HD via a thumb drive with your supplied Ubuntu iso).

I will see if I can reproduce the crash with any other software.

irads

Post by irads »

VLC and Totem could indicate a a driver/codec issue. Firefox - depending what kind of content you were displaying.
If you tend to believe it was a HW issue - you are welcome to proceed with RMA.

Return to “Power and Heat”