Failed HDD and failed Fit PC

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
perentaart

Failed HDD and failed Fit PC

Post by perentaart »

Situation:
I had a Fit PC 2 (1,6 GHz, diskless with wifi) and a WD Scorpio Blue 320 GB. It ran fine for a day. It did not run very intensive things (2 hours idle, 15 minutes 100%, 2 hours idle, etc).

After a day I shutdown the device. Removed the powerplug, moved the device, plugged it in again. After that the HDD was broken (ticking noise) and the Fit PC itself failed to boot. No LEDs on the front are lit. NIC LED is lit. Screen doesn't receive signal either.

Same behaviour after removing the drive and try to boot diskless.

Sadly enough I did not monitor temps with SpeedFan.

Importer from the Netherlands will replace the Fit PC, harddrive will be replaced as well.

Question:
Will the exact same setup give more problems? These are the relevant specs of the HDD (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=377):

Temperature (Metric) Operating: -0° C to 60° C
Power Dissipation: Read/Write 2.50 Watts, Idle 0.85 Watts, Standby 0.25 Watts, Sleep 0.10 Watts

Doesn't seem like it will give problems in combination with the Fit PC, or does increased capacity vs the standard HDD that comes with Fit PC increase temps with failure as result?

irads

Re: Failed HDD and failed Fit PC

Post by irads »

The HDD does not look out of fit-PC2 spec. It is unlikely the HDD caused overheating or overloading. Seems like a failure on the 5V rail.
We will check the fit-PC2 when it arrives at our lab.

Return to “Power and Heat”