fit PC2i Wireless Access Point in Linux?

WLAN adapter and miniPCI-express slot
ypnos

Re: fit PC2i Wireless Access Point in Linux?

Post by ypnos »

True they introduced new hardware support in 2.6.33. However my fit-pc2 wireless worked with older Arch Linux kernel (2.6.31 or so) already. Didn't try AP, don't need it, but found a link for you that's maybe helpful:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/ind ... mode_Howto

mgraham

Post by mgraham »

ypnos wrote:True they introduced new hardware support in 2.6.33. However my fit-pc2 wireless worked with older Arch Linux kernel (2.6.31 or so) already. Didn't try AP, don't need it, but found a link for you that's maybe helpful:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/ind ... mode_Howto
Cool - thanks!!

Michael

BrianS

Post by BrianS »

The fit-PC2 Value WiFi uses the Realtek RTL8187L WiFi as it Wifi Chipset
What Wifi chipset is used in the other fit-PC2? Specifically the fit-PC2 Linux (ON)?

irads

Post by irads »

RaLink RT3090

BrianS

Post by BrianS »

Is the Realtek RTL8187L wifi chipset still available in any of the PC2 models?

irads

Post by irads »

No. The RTL8187L -WR option was phased-out.

Evilworm

Post by Evilworm »

Hi, I have recently received my fit-pc2i and i'm using it as a router. However I cannot make it work as an access point so I can use it with my laptop.

I tried out several things:

1. rt2x00 drivers from 2.6.33 kernel tree. No "master" mode. Laptop cannot even see the device in ad-hoc mode. No errors in dmesg, tho.
2. rt2x00 git repository (2.6.34-rc2-wl), the same as (1).
3. Staging driver from git repository crashed the system with message "BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 865ca21f".
4. Drivers from http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2 but they do not have "master" mode. Ad-hoc shows up on laptop, but after a successful connection nothing happens and dmesg is flooded with errors.
5. Tried the hostapd, but the rt2x00 AP-howto page (http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/ind ... mode_Howto) says that USB chips will not work with hostapd.

So I'm stuck without an access point for now, my home is crawling with cables on the floor and I'm a sad panda. Is there any solution to make the thing work?

edit:
I've got some success in ad-hoc mode with the rt3070sta driver from ralink website. I can establish a connection and the dhcp server assigns an IP address. However the connection stalls afterward and no data is transferred in any direction. Tcpdump shows clearly that the dhcp is working correctly and some other multicast packets are going through, however nothing else is working. There is no firewall involved. I also tried different auth types (none, wep, wpa) but the results were the same.

The_Spider

Post by The_Spider »

After a bit of reading I do not believe it is possible for this device to operate in master mode. The best driver I have found is the RT3070USB(RT307x) driver.

Its nice to see that I'm not the only one to discover this, at least I know its not just me.

Evilworm

Post by Evilworm »

The_Spider, have you happened to successfully established a wireless connection with the ralink driver in ad-hoc mode? And could you confirm that you can actually transfer data? If yes, then could you please share your configuration settings?

I'm actually considering to buy an external access point and connect it to my switch... which is certainly pretty lame considering that fit-pc2i *should* handle this job.

p.s.
I'm on the Rt2x00 mailing list and seems that the development of the rt3070 is progressing really slowly...

Evilworm

Post by Evilworm »

It looks like kernel built in RT2800USB driver for rt3070 chip has finally reached a stable stage in the "wireless-testing" git tree (kernel 2.6.37-wl)... it is no more marked as "non-functuional" and "intended for testers and developers". I can confirm that the driver is working very well together with hostapd daemon in Access Point (master) mode with WEP encryption.

Return to “WLAN and miniPCI-e”