USB Power

USB ports capabilities
fransor

USB Power

Post by fransor »

How much current can I take out from the USB ports? Is there any different at the ports in the front/rear?

Thax in adv.

irads

Re: USB Power

Post by irads »

You should be able to draw 0.5A per port.
Rear ports are reported to be marginally more tolerant to higher current draw.

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Hi

I need to pull 0.5A from two ports, run a touchscreen monitor on a 3rd. For power usage - do I add all of these requirements to the nominal 10W power use of the CPU. Also with so much current being drawn - should I run my 2 x 0.5A devices off a separate 5V supply (I have the option)

Thanks

irads

Post by irads »

Total current consumption from all USB ports should not exceed 1.5A.
So if you have the option to power the devices from an external source it is recommended.

nvd

Post by nvd »

Regarding the limit on the current draw (1.5 A) through all the USB ports, is there any overall protection? As I read somewhere, each USB has a current limiter of 500 mA but that translates to 2 A of collective draw from 4 USB ports (FitPC2).

I am a bit concerned as two MIMO Touch 2 screens are powered by 4 USB ports. According the MIMO specs, each screen draws from 0.6 A to 1 A; 1.2 A to 2 A for two screens. The shipped supply of FitPC2 could not handle this current draw and thus I replaced that with another 12 V power adaptor (5 A).

Things are working fine now and PC is not freezing. Is it safe to do this way? Am I stressing the supply of FitPC2 that may lead to premature failure?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

The FitPC2 designed with a safety margins for an overcurrent situation, but operating in such mode highly unrecommended and may lead to a faster hardware wear, so I recommend to use an external power source on your setup.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “USB”