IDE and SATA to USB adapter

USB ports capabilities
manoka

IDE and SATA to USB adapter

Post by manoka »

Olá,

Can anybody recommend a IDE and SATA to USB adapter?
I bought one, but any equipment that I connect with it to the Fit-PC2i isn't detected on the Ubuntu 10.04 OS.
There is a little CD included with apparently a driver-software, but I can't install it.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

manoka

yogev_ezra

Re: IDE and SATA to USB adapter

Post by yogev_ezra »

You can use the one I attached (could be also this is exactly the one you tried). It works fine for me.

No need for drivers but you need to provide power to SATA disks as the adapter itself only able to power IDE disks. Also the disks are not auto-mounted in Linux. You need to mount them manually.
IDE_to_USB_adapter.jpg
IDE_to_USB_adapter.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 18832 times

manoka

Post by manoka »

Many thanks yogev_ezra!
My adapter isn't exactly identical with the one on the picture, but the parts are very similar and probably with the same functions.
So there's no problem with the connection of a SATA equipment to the power adapter, even though the power requirements of IDE and SATA equipment are quite different (do they have the same voltage)?
And how can they be mounted manually, if they don't show up in "Places">"Computer"?
BTW, actually once my old IDE HDD was mounted and once the computer even booted the OS on that HDD. It puzzles me how this could have happened, when it usually doesn't.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

The USB2IDE/SATA adapter provides power to 2.5" IDE disks from the USB port. This is because 2.5" IDE uses a 44 pin connector that includes power lanes.

But in order to connect 3.5" IDE disk (the one with 40 pin connector) or any SATA disk (2.5" or 3.5"), you need to use also the power brick that I am showing on the picture. This is because for 3.5" IDE and any SATA disks the data connector and power connector are separate, so the USB adapter itself will not provide power - only data.

Before you connect the disk to FitPC2, run "fdisk -l" in Linux terminal and notice all the disk names that appear there. After you connect the disk, wait about 20 seconds and repeat "fdisk -l". If you see a new name that did not appear there before you connected the external disk, then this is your disk.

In order to mount the disk, note the name it got (something like "/dev/sdb1"), and write "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbdisk" in the terminal. Then your external disk data should be accessed at "/mnt/usbdisk".

After you have finished working with the external disk and before you disconnect it, you need to un-mount it: "umount /mnt/usbdisk"

manoka

Post by manoka »

How do you run "fdisk -l"?
I just wrote "fdisk -l" in the terminal and pressed "Enter", but nothing appears.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

You need to be "root" for that, and Ubuntu by default does not log you in as "root" (security measure).

In order to execute a single command as "root", type "sudo" before the command (for example, "sudo fdisk -l"). You will be asked for the root password, which is "111111" if you did not change it.

manoka

Post by manoka »

Before and after connecting the HDD, there's no difference in the result in the terminal.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Did you wait around 20 seconds after connecting like I told you?
If there is no difference, it might mean that the disk or the adapter are faulty.

manoka

Post by manoka »

I waited more than 20 sec..
As the equipment has been working not long ago, it seems most unlikely that any of it is faulty (unless there's somewhere a slack joint).

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Try this adapter with another PC - does it work?
What disk are you connecting? IDE / SATA? 2.5" / 3.5" ?
Try another USB port on FitPC2.

Return to “USB”