How many real USB Ports? (not from HUB)

USB ports capabilities
nsb

How many real USB Ports? (not from HUB)

Post by nsb »

How many real USB Ports does the Fit-PC2 have? (not from HUB)

It has 6 USB connector, but does they come from more than one main (root) USB Port?

Problem: not more than two video w. audio streams allowed per port.

ender

Re: How many real USB Ports? (not from HUB)

Post by ender »

Windows' Device Manager lists 4 Root Hubs, and I currently have things connected to all 4 ports in the back. It appears that ports next to the HDMI connector are on the same hub, while the other two ports are on separate hubs (with bottom port sharing the hub with the built-in IR receiver). I don't know about the front ports, because I don't have appropriate cables to connect anything to them (however given that the manual warns that the left port only supports USB2.0 devices, I'd imagine they're on separate hubs).

jeremys

Post by jeremys »

I was thinking the same thing..
In the front there are 2 MiniA female connectors..
Does enyone got any idea is there cables/adapters to connect eg. External HardDrive (is also has female MiniA connector)?

is there MiniA male - MiniA male cables?
what about Mini-A male - USB A Female (can stick USB stick intoit)

:)

StFS

Post by StFS »

I just want to throw this comment in for the record.

We have been having problems using two Point Grey Research Chameleon USB 2.0 cameras that we tried connecting to the fitpc2.

After analyzing the problem to some degree on Windows we found out that various USB devices were showing up on different Root USB Hubs but when we connected these two cameras, they always showed up on the same hub, no matter what physical USB connection we used.

We then booted the computer up with Linux and ran the command "lsusb -t" to view the USB configuration. It revealed that there is only one USB 2.0 hub in the computer, the rest are 1.1 hubs. There must be some logic somewhere that routes devices to the correct hub as needed since both cameras always ended up on that hub regardless of the connector we used.

So in other words, it looks as if all USB 2.0 devices connected to the fitpc2 will always end up on the same root hub.

Just thought I'd throw this in here in case someone else was wondering about this.

Regards, Stefan.

per

Post by per »

Good information.

Did you also figure out exactly which ports belong to the 2.0 hub and which ports belong to the 1.1 hubs.

Cheers,
Per

StFS

Post by StFS »

per wrote:Good information.

Did you also figure out exactly which ports belong to the 2.0 hub and which ports belong to the 1.1 hubs.

Cheers,
Per
I already answered this question in the "other thread" but I'll drop that answer here as well for the record.

According to our experiments there seems to be no such direct hardware wiring. It didn't matter what port we used, our USB 1.1 devices always ended up on one of the 1.1 hubs while 2.0 devices ended up on the 2.0 hub.

I don't know what it is but there seems to be some "logic" routing the devices to the "correct" controller.

Return to “USB”