Problem with digital audio

Audio codec and audio ports
linusn

Problem with digital audio

Post by linusn »

After maybe 10 hours of struggle, I finally managed to install working drivers for the High definition audio device of my FitPC2i.
Maybe it would be a good idea to put these drivers somewhere they can actually be found instead of posting a link in some thread in this forum.

Actually, the driver installation did not work properly. If I run the setup exetutable an error message appears and the installation closes. The only way of installing the driver is to right click and select "Update driver..." in the device manager.

Anyway... I only get analog audio through the 3.5mm connector market S/PDIF. If I open the IDT control panel there is a checkbox used for activating digital audio out, but nothing changes. If I connect a cable from the 3.5mm socket to an analog input, I get signal, but if I connect it to my DAC nothing happens. I have also checked the signal with a digital oscilloscope and cannot see that there is a digital signal available.

Irads wrote in another thread:
In the pilot batch an IDT codec is used. This is going to change to ALC662 in April-May timeframe.
What about the mentioned pilot batch? Is the S/PDIF really working in these devices?

My OS is Windows XP Pro En with SP3.

linusn

Re: Problem with digital audio

Post by linusn »

More information.

Driver installation
When trying to install the audio drivers, this dialog shows:

The detailed information is:

Code: Select all

Error Code:	-5009 : 0x80040806
Error Information:
>Kernel\IScriptWrapper.cpp (19)
>Kernel\ObjectWrapper.cpp (162)
>Kernel\ObjectWrapper.cpp (557)
>Kernel\Component.cpp (1179)
>Kernel\CABFile.cpp (425)
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (856)
PAPP:IDT
PVENDOR:IDT (http://www.idt.com)
PGUID:E3A5A8AB-58F6-45FF-AFCB-C9AE18C05001
$14.0.0.162
@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600)  Non IE/Netscape 61608.19
S/PDIF output problem
So... I managed to install the driver anyway (but maybe incorrectly?).
It makes not difference whether I check the SPDIF Interface checkbox or not - I only get analogue audio.

Just to verify; Is there some kind of special connector for the S/PDIF output? I have a cable that worked to connect my Soundblaster Audigy to the DAC (3.5mm mono to 1xRCA).

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

linusn wrote:Just to verify; Is there some kind of special connector for the S/PDIF output? I have a cable that worked to connect my Soundblaster Audigy to the DAC (3.5mm mono to 1xRCA).
You need a coaxial SPDIF cable to utilize digital output. I could not really understand what cable are you using now?

linusn

Post by linusn »

I used a coaxial SPDIF cable of course (3.5mm mono to 1xRCA).

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I'm not sure whether your cable is the same as Compulab would supply in new orders (it was not supplied with pilot batch). You should try to acquire Compulab stock cable from one of the distributors to make sure that your cable is not a problem.

irads

Post by irads »

The S/PDIF cable is a custom 3.5mm jack with 3 rings - to RCA.
It is on the parts list of the pilot batch and should be included in the package. Please check again that it is included.
If it is missing email sales@compulab.co.il

S/PDIF will not work with a standard 3.5mm to RCA cable.

linusn

Post by linusn »

Ok. This was not included in my package. I'll email...

Return to “Audio”