fit-PC2 - boot hangs at BIOS splash screen

dkane999

fit-PC2 - boot hangs at BIOS splash screen

Post by dkane999 »

I recently booted from a memory stick and flashed the BIOS to version 12-05-2010. It booted perfectly fine into Windows XP which I installed.

However, I changed the BIOS setting to perform a memory test. Now the fit-pc2 will not advance beyond the BIOS splash screen showing "intel ATOM inside".

Bottom left displays "Press F2 for system utilities". If I reboot and hold F2 down the wording changes to "please wait". Indicator at bottom right will display an X if I boot without keyboard connected, so at least it knows if keyboard is connected or not. I have removed the 8GB scandisk but problem persists.

If there is a BIOS reset procedure I can try please pm or email it to me as we own about 10-of these devices. thank you.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: fit-PC2 - boot hangs at BIOS splash screen

Post by gabrielh »

Initially try to disconnect everything from a FitPC2 (includes HDD) except a keyboard and a monitor. Power on your FitPC2, and try to enter the BIOS menu.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

dkane999

Post by dkane999 »

Everything I reported above is based on this current configuration:

Sandisk removed and only Monitor & Keyboard is connected.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Please consider to RMA your FitPC2. If your FitPC2 beyond the warranty period, you can try hard reset your BIOS. Hard resetting BIOS involves some basic tech skills, and may brick your device in a case of failure, so you should do it on your own risk
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

dkane999

Post by dkane999 »

I cannot explain why but after numerous off/on the unit finally allowed me to it now boots and allows me to enter BIOS. I reset to default settings.

Dominik

Post by Dominik »

gabrielh wrote:Please consider to RMA your FitPC2. If your FitPC2 beyond the warranty period, you can try hard reset your BIOS. Hard resetting BIOS involves some basic tech skills, and may brick your device in a case of failure, so you should do it on your own risk
I think I got a similar problem. I have two fit-pc2i (one for reserve reasons). Now I want to prepare a new hdd for my running system with my reserve fit-pc2i. I didn't use it for ~2 years and now it won't boot anymore :(
On the first attempt, it hangs at bios splash screen! No key worked (especially F2). So I forced a power-off by holding the power-key for a couple of seconds. After this it doesn't even boot to splash screen anymore :(
I already tried to load the battery by powering 24h. How can I try to "Hard resetting BIOS"?
My warranty is over and I don't want to send it to Israel, because of shipping cost and taxes from/to germany.

In another thread a user also advised: "In case, somebody has a similar problem, I would suggest to buy a new battery rather than sending it to Israel"

Do the fit-pc2i boots without battery at all (by loosing time and settings)? Maybe I can just try to desolder it?

it worked! I just tried it and my fit-pc2i boots up again! The voltage of the battery is 1,4V. Is this correct or do I need a new one?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Valid battery voltage is around 3.0V.
Your battery is either depleted or over. So you have to replace it (resolder) to new one.

Dominik

Post by Dominik »

thanks for your quick answer. Is the battery a standard component? Where can I buy it or what is the exact name/type to buy?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

It is the same rechargeable battery as written here:
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/FA ... tery_facts

Return to “fit-PC2 BIOS”