fit-PC2 as remote music player

Is fit-PC2 good for my intended application?
MattCNS

fit-PC2 as remote music player

Post by MattCNS »

I've had a look around but haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for on the forum. Apologies in advance if I'm asking a FAQ!

I'm planning on setting up my fit-PC2 as a remote headless music player. The plan is to install something along the lines of XBMC on the fit-PC and put it in a cupboard (where my router and stereo amp live) and line it in to my amp. Has anyone set up something similar? If so, what software did you use?

The fit-PC2 I have has Win XP pre-installed but I'm willing to install Linux if that improves the options I have for the "jukebox" software. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Ryelands

Re: fit-PC2 as remote music player

Post by Ryelands »

Yes, it's been discussed before . . . :>) Some of the links in this thread might be useful:

http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1074

Apart from the size, a big plus is that its RFI performance is excellent as it is very well shielded. A friend with access to a spectrum analyser reckons it is probably an order of magnitude better than a desktop computer for RF emissions. For good-quality audio that matters.

However, some argue that a "tweaked" Logitek Squeezebox Touch is hard to beat and easier to setup. See e.g.:

http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/p/ ... twork.html

HTH

RonM

Post by RonM »

I've set up the Fit as a dedicated music server, using the Squeezebox line of equipment. See the thread in the Server section. I use a combination of Squeezebox products, including a Duet (combo Receiver and Remote), a Transporter (high-end audio) and a Boom (for remote wireless use).

The Fit has worked flawlessly, on 24/7 for 15 months, not a single problem.

R.

MattCNS

Post by MattCNS »

RonM wrote:I've set up the Fit as a dedicated music server, using the Squeezebox line of equipment
Thanks for that Ron. As it turns out I decided that that would be the ideal setup for us too. I'm off to check out your set up. :)

advid

Post by advid »

MattCNS wrote:I'm planning on setting up my fit-PC2 as a remote headless music player
Me too. (but FitPC2i - Linux)
RonM wrote:I've set up the Fit as a dedicated music server, using the Squeezebox line of equipment. See the thread in the Server section.
Here it is.
By the way, Squeezebox Touch seems nice, but then I no longer need FitPC2 I guess...

Anyway, I have different questions about this, and I'm asking in another old topic you may find interesting as I did:
The Fit-PC2 as a high-end audio PC

Return to “Using fit-PC2”