FitPC2 used for VoIP / voice modem / serial? (deaf user)

Is fit-PC2 good for my intended application?
mdrejhon

FitPC2 used for VoIP / voice modem / serial? (deaf user)

Post by mdrejhon »

Hello,

I need to replace my nearly 10-year-old basement Linux computer (A Pentium III 600 underclocked to 400 Mhz with only 256MB RAM). The software has been upgraded over the years to keep up with security trends, but I need to save space and power (even though that box uses only 50 watts). Don't knock it - it frequently has 500-day uptimes on a UPS - that's better than some desk telephones do! The FitPC2 would be a massive upgrade.

Because I am a deaf, I need to have some specialized applications, so I need:
- Voice modem support (external USB can do)
- Two serial ports (for two external serial modems, including a good old fashioned USRobotics "V.Everything" modem)

Since FitPC2/FitPC2i does not have working serial ports I need, I need to find some Linux-compatible equivalents, such as USB adaptors for the serial ports. Has anyone ever successfully done this with the newer FitPC2's? (Did FitPC2 work for the application, and which brand adaptors, which Linux options)

yogev_ezra

Re: FitPC2 used for VoIP / voice modem / serial? (deaf user)

Post by yogev_ezra »

The problem is that USB-to-Serial adapters usually do not support flow control, which might be an issue for you. Can you explain in more detail how the serial modems are used? Maybe it's possible to replace them with USB modems?

Fit-PC2i will have one working serial port in a 1-2 months.

mdrejhon

Re: FitPC2 used for VoIP / voice modem / serial? (deaf user)

Post by mdrejhon »

I've successfully migrated a 10-year old Linux box onto a FitPC Slim for now. I am using a USRobotics USB modem (USR5637, works with Gentoo with latest kernel), as well as using one of my old serial modems with a Serial-to-USB adaptor. Power savings of 90%+ probably.

Since the old serial modem needs to run a legacy connection with no flow control, it's working acceptably. I've also ordered another brand of USB-to-serial adaptor off eBay that is claimed to have flow control, so I'm going to see how well that works...

Return to “Using fit-PC2”