fit-PC2 - Thermal issues with dense deployment?

Is fit-PC2 good for my intended application?
cheeto1012

fit-PC2 - Thermal issues with dense deployment?

Post by cheeto1012 »

I'm looking at options for a dense deployment of systems in a traditional server rack. I am looking for test clients that can drive load to a storage cluster. I plan to have the systems as densely packed as is safe for the system so can the fit-PC2 systems be stacked on top of each other or should there be some airflow space between them?

Since is it a server rack in a real datacenter, temp of the room shouldn't get too high so that isn't a worry. The main worry is if too many of them close together will generate enough heat to harm themselves. Is there any info on heat dissipation or thermal properties that might affect the systems?

Any stories or info on people using them for a dense deployment of individual systems?

Thanks in advance,
Mac

irads

Re: fit-PC2 - Thermal issues with dense deployment?

Post by irads »

I had a customer asking a similar question, so I repeat my answer here
You may assume total power of 7W*23 ~= 160W. Add to that LAN switch and 80% efficiency of power supply and it’s about 200W.
No particular hot-spot.
Fit-PC2 can withstand ambient of 45C or even 50C considering the given airflow.
Assuming uniform airflow in the chassis I would expect that the 3 fans are sufficient for cooling.
Since the fit-PC2 are going to be mostly headless you can reduce 1-1.5W average consumption of each.
This is an excerpt from an email I received just today from the customer
A few months ago you helped me with some power specifications for a project my company is undertaking creating a standalone box of networked FitPC2 computers to be used for testing in the wireless industry. Since then we have had great results and have produced 4 of the boxes using 92 of your SBCs. Your advice regarding heat dissipation was spot-on, and four 3" fans are more than adequate to cool each group of 23 computers, so thank you!
I hope this helps.

Return to “Using fit-PC2”