I think I found it

Windows Vista, Windows 2000, XP Embedded, Windows CE, Windows Server etc.
vtailor

I think I found it

Post by vtailor »

If you go to the Windows 8 features section of the control panel, and you turn off the Power Shell, memory usage goes down from exactly 1G out of 2G to slightly over 500M out of 2G. Did you know this already?

I am hoping soon to have the only fit-pc2 z510 with a realtek 3090 1T/1R installed. You really don't appreciate how, 20 years from now, those z510 devices will be featured in museums and traded between antique collectors at outrageous prices.

If I were you, I would make sure the fit-pc2 logo and name are trademarked and copyrighted, especially because the next, and last, Intel atoms have suddenly become so attractive to put into a fit-pc2 style NUC box.

vtailor

Re: I think I found it

Post by vtailor »

OK, the value z510 with a realtek 3090 1R/1T installed, and working again on the great question: Resolved that suitably limited Windows 8 works nearly as well as Windows 7 SP1. At any rate, I managed to thread the antenna wire from the mini-pciexpress slot out to the back of the case, with a loop of antenna wire going back into the hard drive cage. All I ruined in the process was the hard drive led lens, which may get pushed back into place someday.

So, here I am with the iemgd graphics driver installed and lots of updates later, with spare memory varying between 500M and 200M and some hope of removing extra load from the cpu.

And, the darn thing does full screen streaming flash video with lip synchronization and no dropped frames.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

My guess is that the folks at Microsoft are very interested in a z510-friendly version of Windows 8, because of its close relationship to running Windows 8 on an x86 smartphone, and who cares if power shell and line printer are not loaded?

Something about the Realtek3090(1T/1R). The minute I installed the card in my z510, leaving some wiggle room for the SSD hard drive, the North American company I bought it from stopped listing it, and all the US companies that order direct from their uncle in Hong Kong raised the price from $7 to $19. Well, it definitely is an improvement over a USB wifi device in terms of stability and sensitivity and resistance to power glitches.

I had also been trying to do an android style Windows 7 install, but it looks as though Windows 7 refuses to recognize anything except a sata hard drive, whereas android is happy with an SD card, which, however, does not fit into the SD slot in the front of the fit-pc2. Must be someone once sold you a non-standard size SD slot, because the width is off by less than a millimeter.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

I did some testing in RIPLinuX to determine a "good" resolution for the z510, and I discovered that the gma500_gfx module wasn't able to handle 1900, and 1366 caused streaming flash problems. So, I settled on 1600x900, which actually gives rather good results. On the possibility that Windows 8 has the same "problem" with the iemgd driver, I set the resolution at 1600x900 and found the task manager showing relatively low cpu utilization and memory use. The following two png screen captures show what happens. Note that the Linux screen captures have much higher resolution and even show the rounding of edges.
Attachments
screencap2.png
screencap2.png (538.71 KiB) Viewed 9325 times
screencap1.png
screencap1.png (50.02 KiB) Viewed 9325 times

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

One more thing to cut down overhead under Windows is to go to Windows Defender Settings and turn off the first option. This works best on the z530 and the z550.

I wonder if you guys have tested out the z2000 and z3000 series of SOC atoms with a view to doing a fit-pc2 version. The z2000 is a powervr chipset and might be amenable to the tricks that work on the earlier powervr series, while the z3000 probably works out of the box with Windows 8.1 and may do pretty well under Mint Linux.

Return to “Other Windows versions”