Mythbuntu 9.10 - mplayer does not start.

gman

Mythbuntu 9.10 - mplayer does not start.

Post by gman »

I installed driver/linux-image-2.6.31-34-fitpc2 according to Ubuntu 9.10 supported

When i try to start mplayer nothing happens when i click on it in the menu.
the difference is that i use mythbuntu 9.10 instead om Ubuntu 9.10.

i wonder if it possible to install the "driver" on mythbuntu 9.10 ?

Denis

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 - mplayer does not start.

Post by Denis »

May be it`s just gui compatibility problem? May be skins not installed? What happens when you run mplayer from command line?
Compulab's Linux support

stapo101

Post by stapo101 »

I have Mythbuntu 9.10 installed and have Mplayer working.

Are you are trying to launch mplayer from mythtv? They have changed it all. The default player is now the internal player. You can still go in and set myth to use mplayer as your player, however, anything being played from one of the storage groups set in the mythtv backend will only use the default player. The solution I found was to go into myth tv backend configuration (in the system menu of mythbuntu) and set the default video storage group to something other than /var/lib/mythtv/videos (eg /var/lib/mythtv/livetv. That way if you have an .mp4 video in the normal directory (/var/lib/mythtv/videos) you can set a rule in mythtv file types to use mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo vaapi -va vaapi %s -ao alsa for .mp4 and .mkv and it will launch the video in mplayer using hardware acceleration.

I'm watching a BR rip right now using it. The video is smoother than in 9.04 with no horizontal tearing. The only problem is a thin green horizontal line just before the bottom black bar when watching the video. This is the same for standard def .avi as well. I suspect it is due to the experimental video driver. However, I think the smoother playback is worth it.

Hope this helps

gman

Post by gman »

No, I'm not trying to start mplayer within mythtv.

I got it to work now, reinstalled mythbuntu and applied the fit-pc drivers/program. It's was probably some update (ubuntu kernel) that messed it up.

Now i can play mplayer, but get an error on the sound.
i also got picture in mythtv. BUT ith doesn't shows correct. I use a dual tuner WinTV-NOVA-TD. I have one picture showing correct (as far i can see) in the back and another flickering on top of that.

Yes i knew mythtv do not support Vaapi (and I'm a newbie om linux). I ' thinking of trying mini myth or xbmc now :) But first I'll try to get sound when i play mplayer

stapo101

Post by stapo101 »

Cool.

I've tried a few different HTPC set ups so far with this bit of kit (Boxee, XBMC. MythTv) and the best that I have found so far is Mythbuntu running MythTV launching Mplayer as the external media player for .avi, .mp4, .mkv etc (which then takes advantage of vaapi). I have also amended the mainmenu.xml in MythTv so that I can launch Boxee from the main menu and use for streaming media.

My next step is to incorprate Conkeror web browser into it and control it from a Lirc remote to browse. I'm not a fan of Mythbrowser - Conkeror is really simple to use with just a few keys.

Return to “Ubuntu 9.10”