regular system hanging

mjk

regular system hanging

Post by mjk »

I believe this is software and not hardware. I have two Fit-pc2s (one is ON type). I use them as command-line systems using SSH to experiment with Ubuntu Linux: i.e. only external connection other than power line is an ethernet cable. At my place in France the boxes ran without problem from the time I received them. When I install them in UK each of them tends to freeze at about the same time every day. Sometimes not but more often they do. I am assuming it has to do with acrontab running the cron.daily scripts but am not expert enough to understand why some script is hanging in UK and not when in France! Any help would be appreciated.

mjk

Re: regular system hanging

Post by mjk »

I think I'm close to a remedy. I am using the computer via an SSH terminal on another system. The Fit-PC2 is connected to my network using its ethernet port.

I feel that there could be some interference with the unused wireless link causing the system to hang.

There is no physical way to switch wireless off. The simple method of using ifconfig to disable the wireless doesn't work because the driver will reset it back to operational within two minutes!

I discovered about the module blacklist! By identifying the wireless module name and blacklisting it, it no longer logically exists in the kernel. No more kernel: ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan messages every two minutes and, so far, the system is staying alive!

I'll report back in a few more days, hopefully confirming this simple method of disabling wireless from the command line and preventing system hanging when used in the way I'm working.

Denis

Post by Denis »

You can blacklist wireless driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Compulab's Linux support

mjk

Post by mjk »

Thanks Denis, that's what I was saying. Didn't want to push the detail unless someone asks!

webcolonel

Post by webcolonel »

Hi, I noticed that my fit-pc2 is very slow and CPU is often near 100% even if the sum of the single processes in "top" is around 7/8%, so I suspect an hardware error.
I found an error in dmesg that is like the one reported in this thread.

... ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan. 5(5) BSS returned, data->length = 652...
this is repeated every 2 minutes.

I think it may be the same issue you had.. Please could you help suggesting what you did to solve it?

Thanks very much in advance.

Return to “Ubuntu 8.04”