External USB Hard Disk Spin down and Spin up continuously

skippyitaly

External USB Hard Disk Spin down and Spin up continuously

Post by skippyitaly »

Hi there, I got a Western Digital My Book Essential (model number WD3200I032) for some years and I use it with lot of computers and many OS. I know it has an internal timer for automatically spin down when no activity and it works good on my Windows 7 desktop pc. It works good with my fit-PC2 (rev. 1.21), until i got Windows 7 on it. But when I install Windows XP on the fit PC the disk spin down after some minutes (like in other condition) but it spin up again even if no access to the disk. So it continue spin down and spin up every ten minutes more or less (and I know it's not good for a hard disk). When I use the disk on my old XP computer no problems with XP. I noticed it spin up sometimes even if the fitPC is turned off (USB obviously connected).
Do you know anything about this issue? Any solution?
Thanks for now

irads

Re: External USB Hard Disk Spin down and Spin up continuously

Post by irads »

USB is powered when fit-PC2 rev 1.21 is powered down, but there is no signaling over USB. I don't know why the HDD spins up.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: External USB Hard Disk Spin down and Spin up continuousl

Post by gabrielh »

Hi
Can you please try different USB port? If you have another external HDD, can you please check if you have this symptoms on other drives?

Thanks
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Skippy

Re: External USB Hard Disk Spin down and Spin up continuousl

Post by Skippy »

I've done many tests and results are the same.
I think the problem is on XP and some services, like Indexing, Swap and others. I try disableing everything and the disk spin up only when I access data on it, otherwise it stays down.
So I think I've solved my issue. Thanks for the answer...

Return to “Windows XP”