fitlin - custom distro for fitpc2

kiwigeraint

fitlin - custom distro for fitpc2

Post by kiwigeraint »

I have more or less finished the work on centos for fit-pc2 - and now I am staring at this little black box wondering what on earth to do with it.

So i had an idea - im going to build a custom linux distro for this device, being a hardware specific distro it has a number of benifits - all of the supported drivers can be built into the kernel so we have no need for an initrd, and hardware will be supported out of the box (no need to wait for upstream to port fixes for the kernel etc)

Now I am willing to do this for the greater good - but there are some things that you can help me with :

1.) Money to pay for hosting, coffee and pizza ;) http://pledgie.com/campaigns/9568
2.) Hardware - I currently have a fitpc2, with a ralink wifi card and a 3dsp combo card - if you have any spare hardware that you want supported - send it to me (i can return it to you once the work is done)
3.) Porting apps - this will be a bit down the road - but once i have a booting distro (probably 4 - 6 weeks) it would be nice if users could port apps ;-)

I am busy building a roadmap - but stage 1 is going to be getting fitlin v1 booting and stable, once that is done I am going to look at porting coreboot to the fitpc2 so we can have a bit more control over the boot process.

Any help is appreciated, also I am in the early build stages so any suggestions would be welcome ;-)

Peace.

yogev_ezra

Re: fitlin - custom distro for fitpc2

Post by yogev_ezra »

Are you going to base it on another major Linux distribution like Debian / RedHat, or it would be a standalone distribution like Puppy Linux?

I might have some more hardware to donate; I will contact you when I go over it.

kiwigeraint

Post by kiwigeraint »

No - it will be an LFS (linux from scratch) specifically optimized for FitPC2

startit_ltd

Post by startit_ltd »

Hi,

Is there any progress?

Cheers,
István

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I guess there is not enough public interest in this project for now ;)

Return to “Other Linux distributions”