real speed of 2x Gbit BaseT Ethernet

Yeoman

real speed of 2x Gbit BaseT Ethernet

Post by Yeoman »

Does someone tested real speed of gigabit ethernet on fit-PC2i? As i heard hardware, based on Atom can't make it past 100 mbit anyway, and that's an issue for me. For example now my PC router with FreeBSD and 2x 100mbit can't make more then 25 mbit throughput with NAT etc.

I'm thinking about buying fit-PC2i as a server and router with *nix. So any real world speeds would be great to hear from actual users or at least from Irad (can i trust manufacturers advertised real speeds? :) )

irads

Re: real speed of 2x Gbit BaseT Ethernet

Post by irads »

See http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1256
It was measured on fit-PC2, but controllers in fit-PC2i are the same.

Yeoman

Post by Yeoman »

Thanks, somehow missed "Ethernet" forum, maybe Irad can move this topic under it.

Speeds are nice in abovementioned topic, but those are direct speeds between 2 PC.

I'm looking more into case, where there comes in traffic trough one LAN port, then for example FreeBSD does some filtering, NATing, and then send out trough another port. As i understand, that's where Atom kicks in, and does not allow to do high speeds.

So i hope out there are users, that use fit-PC2i as firewall, NAT etc., as there are 2 nice gbit ethernet ports, that is still a rare sight in such a small form factor PC.

jimboha

Post by jimboha »

So i hope out there are users, that use fit-PC2i as firewall, NAT etc., as there are 2 nice gbit ethernet ports, that is still a rare sight in such a small form factor PC.
Yes, I'd very much like to use a fit-PC (or 2 or 2i) for a web content filter/firewall. But it seems that only the fit-PC2i is available (sometimes) with two RJ-45 jacks. I'm anxious to get one up and running now but can't find a fit-PC model that would satisfy this 2-NIC need.

Would I have any success using a USB to ethernet adapter in a fit-CP model that doesn't have two RJ-45 jacks?

Jimboha

Return to “Ethernet”