Use any resolution you want, as long as it's 1024x768

vtailor

Use any resolution you want, as long as it's 1024x768

Post by vtailor »

The gma500 graphics driver can actually do flash plugin "hardware decoding" under Windows 7, but it appears to want 1024x768 in order to work that way. I am writing this from the z510 fit-pc2 using a defragged ssd hard drive (!) and with background services and drivers reduced to a minimum, after the complete initial update patch.

I am actually getting full-screen, full-motion, lipsync flash video, maybe not for long, but when did _you_ last get that?

Also, the gma500 driver on my fit-pc2 z510 only displays in 1024x768 or lower under Windows 7. In case you read my post on what does not yet work using Windows 8 on the fit-pc2 z510, well this is the followup with Windows 8 removed and reduced to Windows 7 instead in hopes of getting decent video performance.

I may go back to Windows 8 and re-test at 1024x768 (it can do full screen 1920x1024, but with more crashes) to find out if the driver gets flash plugin to work same way as Windows 7. Can I bill you for the extra work? No? Tsk.

Of course, Windows 8 might as well be Windows 7 by the Time you get through patskying with it and stopping unwanted tiles.

vtailor

Re: Use any resolution you want, as long as it's 1024x768

Post by vtailor »

Actually, if you use the default bios settings, you can get the 1920x1024 "suggested resolution" to work, with stability. Funny thing, under Windows 7, you get gma500 hardware decoding and software rendering, whatever that is. Under Windows 8, with exactly the same gma500 driver from Fit-PC, you get hardware rendering and software decoding, which does not work well at all.

By comparison, Windows 8 on an AMD 300 atom laptop does hardware rendering and hardware decoding in full screen at 1366x768, could be a sign of great friendship between AMD and Microsoft.

Ah well, we will find out if the forum instructions for generating a flash pendrive Windows 7 installer work for this Windows 8.

Return to “Windows 7 display driver”