Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS fit-pc2i rev 1.1 iso for HD install

axcoco

Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS fit-pc2i rev 1.1 iso for HD install

Post by axcoco »

Note : This is only for fitpc2i rev 1.1

It took quite some time and effort but I managed to build a iso image of Ubuntu Server 10.04 for the fit-pc2i revision 1.1.

This will allow you to install it on the fitpc2i revision 1.1 hard drive from an usb memory stick. You can use the ubuntu usb-creator program to create a usb boot disk. Just for the record, the parameter 'cdrom-detect/try-usb=true' has been added so the usb port is detected by the installation process and read the iso on the stick.

Download it here (dexnode release #2) : http://fitpc2i.dexnode.com/download/ubu ... ses/lucid/

On grub install:
When grub is asking if you you want to install it on the master boot record, answer no and it will be installed on the HDD (/dev/sdb1 ; hd1,1)

Note : fitpc2i rev 1.2 does not need a custom iso, therefore you can install the official ubuntu server release.

I needed to modify pata module because ubuntu only detects master hard drives (currrently SD is master and HD slave, and this is a hardware configuration we cannot change). The modification makes the kernel detects slave HD as well during boot time.

Update :
2.6.32-25-fitpc2i available :

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-25-fitpc2i
(I did not managed to make it detected by apt-get upgrade)
Last edited by axcoco on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Skai

Re: Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS fit-pc2i iso image available

Post by Skai »

I'm a premium newb. I hope you can bear with me.

So I really like this fit-pc2. But I want to get 10.04 on it. Will this enable me to do it? Do you have some simple instructions for someone like me? I've read a lot about linux, and even about programming and writing shell scripts and stuff like that. But I've never owned or even used a linux before. I'm basically trying to get all prepared for it, and looking to buy a computer with Linux. So, ahead of time, can you help me out? I would really appreciate it. I think that community stuff with Linux is an awesome feature of Linux, and the creativity of it all. If only I were a veteran of such affairs, I would surely return the favor. Until then, though...
thnx!!!! :D

Skai

Post by Skai »

oops... also, would there any features of Ubuntu that wouldn't be able to be used on a possible install on the fit-pc2? thanks again

axcoco

Post by axcoco »

Are you talking about Ubuntu server or Ubuntu desktop ?

At the time we speak, the last version of ubuntu Desktop (10.04) does not work with the fitpc2. We need to wait for an update of the graphic driver.
However, Ubuntu server works great on it. You can do everything you want with it.

Skai

Post by Skai »

oh hi! thank you very much for responding.
Well so I've been checking out the difference between server and desktop.
Yeah I'm really that new.
But I'm probably thinking that I'd get a desktop, and maybe trying to get some server capabilities later.
I'm a lot more interested in the command line as opposed to a GUI. With the command line, I'm very interested in automation. I've read that servers have more automation features. Is this true?
Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

But, yeah, do you have any idea on a timetable for the driver for the desktop version?

Thanks a lot :)

axcoco

Post by axcoco »

Desktop version is more usefull if you want to go on websites etc..
Server version is rather if you want to build and store websites on it.

But for deskop you should go with ubuntu 9.04

Skai

Post by Skai »

hmmm, okay. Yeah I might go with a desktop and see what I can do by putting some server capabilities or whatever on there. And looks like I'll go with 9.04. Thank you very much! good luck with all of your work :mrgreen:

tlpicke

Post by tlpicke »

I am running 10.04 om my fit, (regular download with Desktop for Ubuntu and then ran all of install for 9.10 on fit downloads website).

You are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- the Lucid Lynx - released in April 2010 and supported until April 2013.

...Tim

axcoco

Post by axcoco »

tlpicke wrote:I am running 10.04 om my fit, (regular download with Desktop for Ubuntu and then ran all of install for 9.10 on fit downloads website).

You are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- the Lucid Lynx - released in April 2010 and supported until April 2013.

...Tim

I guess you are running lucid under the old kernel version of ubuntu 9.10 then. I'm not sure whether this would be free of conflicts...

Merhaba

Post by Merhaba »

Just so you know, axcoco:
your iso worked like a charm here, my fit-pc2i now runs under Lucid Lynx Server Edition flawlessly. Just a bit of a problem when trying to install grub - somehow the package wasn't loaded correctly and install into MBR failed. Going back to the installer menu and updating packages did the trick and the rest of the install went smoothly.
Thanks for your kind work!

Return to “Ubuntu 10.04”