HDFury 2008 Gamer Edition

Post by sanitizer »

Hi,

Will this cable work on my Fit PC2?

Thanks

irads

Re: HDFury 2008 Gamer Edition

Post by irads »

It is likely to work. We haven't tested it.

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

I cant comment specifically on the Gamer edition, but i do know that the standard HD-Fury works seamlessly with Fit-PC2.

In fact, the HD-Fury circuitry is completely self-contained (it's a one-way data connection - at least for the Blue HD-Fury we have) and i cannot see any reason why the attached PC would have any effect on its functioning. As long as you have a digital video signal going in to the HD-Fury, the output will be the same just in analogue, independent of the PC providing the digital signal.

Hope that helps.

Benjamin

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I have ordered 25 of those (to get the discount). Should be here by Monday.
I will report in this thread whether they work or not.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

The converters arrived on Friday, even faster than I expected.
I have done some testing - here are the results:

First of all - it works, so if you already ordered one, your money is not wasted ;) The led on the converter is glowing blue, which means that HDFury 2008 Gamer Edition is getting enough power supply from Fit-PC2. If it was not the case, then it would be a problem since the Gamer Edition does not have any hole for external power supply. But as I said above, luckily, Fit-PC2 provides enough power so that HDFury 2008 Gamer Edition is working properly.

However, unfortunately there are some issues requiring attention. I have done the testing on Samsung SyncMaster 740B, which has both DVI and VGA input, so I could compare the performance via both sources on the same monitor:
1. When you plug the Gamer Edition into Fit-PC2 and monitor for the first time, it is starting at 1280x720 pixels resolution (test was done in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS). Luckily, the monitor supports this resolution as well, otherwise I would probably see a black screen.
2. The resolution above is not suitable for 4x3 monitor as Samsung SyncMaster 740B, so the picture looks stretched. Therefore I went to System->Preferences->Screen Resolution, and changed the resolution to 1280x1024x75Hz. Then I pressed "Apply". The resolution was changed, and the image was not stretched anymore, but now the picture was not aligned properly.
3. Therefore I pressed the "AUTO" button on the SyncMaster 740B buttons panel. After a few seconds of adjustments, the picture was auto-aligned properly. However the monitor reported that this resolution is not recommended, so it turned itself off after a few minutes of working. After turning off, it told me that the recommended resolution is 1280x1024x60Hz (and not 75Hz as I said before).
4. So I went to Screen Resolution again and changed the resolution to 1280x1024x60Hz as suggested. Now the monitor did not say anything but again the picture became misaligned. I pressed the "AUTO" button again, but after the auto-align process the alignment became even worse (the rightmost part of the screen got hidden beyond the monitor space).
5. Therefore I had no other choice than to enter monitor OSD control settings via the monitor buttons, and adjust the image manually (both horizontal and vertical position needed adjustment). After saving the changes, the image is now displayed properly and aligned correctly.
6. I performed restart on Fit-PC2 to check whether alignment settings are saved, and luckily they were. So one-time manual alignment will do the job, but sadly it is still needed (P.S. when using another DVI-to-VGA converter that I purchased a few months ago http://home.comcast.net/~imagecenter08/svfc3.jpg , AUTO adjustment worked fine and manual adjustment was not needed, but that other converter cost me 35$ more so it's up to you).
7. One more issue I noticed - sometimes, when the computer is going into standby mode, when it comes back from standby, the image does not always return properly (sometimes you just see a few green pixels on the screen, and no image). But as I am not going to use standby mode myself, it is not a problem for me. Rebooting the Fit-PC2 solves the issue.

Update for Windows XP Home SP3:
Under Windows, HDFury 2008 Gamer Edition booted itself in 1024x768x60Hz (good mode for Samsung SyncMaster 740B), and pressing "AUTO" adjusted the picture perfectly.
Then I went to Display Properties and switched the resolution to 1280x1024x60Hz, pressed "AUTO" button - and the picture was also self-aligned perfectly.

Conclusion: it works both in Windows XP Home SP3 and in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, but using Ubuntu requires manual adjustments (at least on Samsung SyncMaster 740B), while using WindowsXP works out-of-the-box.

Return to “fit-PC2 accessories”