eSATA port on the way?

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
brimur

eSATA port on the way?

Post by brimur »

Hi, I was searching the web for an ultra low powered pc and this one looks great but it is missing the one thing that I was looking for (apart from the low power :P ) and that is an eSATA port. Is there a possibility that this will be in the next revision or down the line somewhere? Thanks and great product you have here!

irads

Re: eSATA port on the way?

Post by irads »

We find eSATA to be not quite as useful as USB2.
A major issue is that unlike USB2 eSATA does not incorporate power supply.

mini

Post by mini »

Well, if you use the internal SATA port with a SATA-eSATA cable you CAN connect to external devices (with independent power supply).

MattW

Post by MattW »

I have to agree with Brimur here.

Having an eSATA port would be a tremendous win. Yes, USB2 is powered, but is basically limited to ~35MB/sec max. This is a serious limit to virtually all modern drives.

eSATA (depending on version) has a max of 150 or 300MB/sec making it easy to attach an external SATA drive and get data from it at the full speed of the drive.

I realize the difficulties of doing this is partly because the Poulsbo chipset supports PATA only (and you're doing that PATA-to-SATA conversion already for the internal drive.)

What about an option to fill the mini-PCIe slot with a SATA controller instead of a WiFi card? It would make the Fit-PC2 an ideal network file server because it could have a large external drive array attached via a high-speed link (eSATA) and the Gigabit ethernet port.

That would be awesome!

brimur

Post by brimur »

MattW wrote:I have to agree with Brimur here.

Having an eSATA port would be a tremendous win. Yes, USB2 is powered, but is basically limited to ~35MB/sec max. This is a serious limit to virtually all modern drives.

eSATA (depending on version) has a max of 150 or 300MB/sec making it easy to attach an external SATA drive and get data from it at the full speed of the drive.

I realize the difficulties of doing this is partly because the Poulsbo chipset supports PATA only (and you're doing that PATA-to-SATA conversion already for the internal drive.)

What about an option to fill the mini-PCIe slot with a SATA controller instead of a WiFi card? It would make the Fit-PC2 an ideal network file server because it could have a large external drive array attached via a high-speed link (eSATA) and the Gigabit ethernet port.

That would be awesome!

My thoughts exactly. As a Media Server its perfect except for the limited storage. Most media servers these days are in the TB's I have a mini pc at the mo connected via esata to a 2TB external drive. Im sure that size is becoming the norm now and the USB2 speed limitation is a hinderence for me anyway!

martinnorby

Post by martinnorby »

The Fit-PC2 is the perfect solution to my year-long search for a low-power server. But I want a RAID 1 disc configuration, and as far as I can see, this is only possible with an eSata port.

Return to “Wish list”