Intel Atom Z6xx launched, will fit-PC2/3 use this??

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
rockman

Intel Atom Z6xx launched, will fit-PC2/3 use this??

Post by rockman »

Look at this yourself (on TomsHardware).

We're talking about great power scalability, frequencies up to 1,9 Ghz but able to be reduced to 200 Mhz; and really powerful graphics, the first time really on an Intel (a detailed article here, always TomsHardware).

A Fit-PC based on it would become a great Blu-Ray platform without loosing its great power consumption levels.

I really hope the developers will consider this.

irads

Re: Intel Atom Z6xx launched, will fit-PC2/3 use this??

Post by irads »

Atom Z6xx is designed for mobile devices. It does not have the required interfaces for a nettop. Therefore the Z5xx is still the best low-power solution in this category.

rockman

Post by rockman »

I really hope there will be some kind of variation with the required features.
Is it a problem of connectors? I guess USB and HDMI are not missing, is it a problem of Ethernet or what else?

(thanks for the quick and simple reply anyway!)

kuzlovsky12

Post by kuzlovsky12 »

I just read about Z6xx today and I was about to write the same question, as I too would be very interested in upgrading my FitPC v1.0 to a Z6xx model.

Can you please tell us what interfaces did you have in mind, what is it missing ?

Thank you.

kuz

superfigo

Post by superfigo »

http://www.pocketables.net/2010/02/zser ... trail.html

Many people have thought that the most likely successor to the Z-series would be the next generation Moorestown processor, an Atom SoC CPU specifically for MIDs and smartphones such as the upcoming LG GW990. But it is likely this chip will not be capable of running Windows, instead being designed for OS options such as Moblin and the upcoming MeeGo. Now out of the blue, PC Watch has a new rumor that Intel is in fact working on a new Atom processor codenamed "Oak Trail" that will be the true successor to the Z-series of chips.

Unfortunately this rumor is unconfirmed and nothing is known about Oak Trail apart from the assumption that it will likely also be a SoC design and hence more energy efficient than existing Z5xx CPUs. Another theory is that Oak Trail may be a Windows-capable version of the Moorestown design.

Whatever may be the case, if this rumor proves to be true we can possibly look forward to a new generation of VAIO Ps, UH900s, and perhaps some other exciting new devices. The question is when can we expect Oak Trail to be announced and become available? What do you guys think of this rumor and its chances of being true?

superfigo

Post by superfigo »

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/01/inte ... arly-2011/

Intel 'Oak Trail' is headed for tablets in early 2011

Tablet PCs
Intel 'Oak Trail' is headed for tablets in early 2011
By Joanna Stern posted Jun 1st 2010 12:00AM
Breaking News
Intel's been quite forthcoming over the past few weeks about its intentions to play in the booming tablet market, and apparently Oak Trail's going to be its ticket. Despite its name, the Atom SoC platform is actually closer to Moorestown than Pine Trail or Pine View -- the major difference here is that Intel's added Lincroft and Whitney Point to enable support for Windows 7. It will also support Google and MeeGo operating systems, so feel free to let your imagination run wild with that. Intel's not sharing much else right now in terms of architecture, but the long and short of it is that the fanless solution will enable thinner tablets with better battery life than the current Menlow platform, and will also add full 1080p playback and HDMI support. But we've still got a time to go until Oak Trail will be powering slates, as it won't ship until early 2011 at best. Funny enough, that certainly seems to line up well with ASUS Eee Pad's 2011 Q1 ship date, but feel free to make what you will of the so-called coincidence. Either way, it looks like the next year will be another interesting one for tablets, and the players look to be multiplying by the minute.

Return to “Wish list”