Full HDMI with multi channel audio

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
BBB

Full HDMI with multi channel audio

Post by BBB »

I like many others will be bitterly disappointed that you've crippled the fit-pc2's potential to be a HTPC / media box by not adding in v1.3 HDMI and the ability to use multi-channel digital audio!

There are countless other dedicated media boxes (usually based on Sigma chipsets) that are already HDMI v1.3 FullHD Audio/Video capable but their major limitation is their dire GUI. This is an area that fit-pc2 can capitalize on, as it can run various OS's opening it up to the the infinitely superior XBMC GUI (among others).

A full v1.3 HDMI is an absolute must, not a 'wish' I really hope you take this onboard as the market for a silent, small, FullHD AV capable box market is booming and you really could 'clean-up' here.

I'd like to also second all the requests for a Z530 diskless model, even wireless should be made optional to keep cost down.

Is it likely in the near future ?
thanks
BBB

mattdawg

Re: Full HDMI with multi channel audio

Post by mattdawg »

I second this post completely. I have been looking into the mini itx and nano itx space lately for a possible small HTPC frontend so far this one is looking good but it's just shy of it's full potential. Maybe capatializing on the Nvidia IOn platform can get the HDMI 1.3 out of the way and I am sure there are some multi channel audio cards you can get. Even if it raises the price a bit its still a good buy.

I will be looking for something else in the mean time but will keep my eye on this.

Also it is frustrating that the WiFi got ripped out of the diskless version. Not sure why.

anton_kg

Post by anton_kg »

I'm also looking for a media box solution to replace my current not so powerful (patched) AppleTV. There are few things missing so far:
Hardware:
- HDMI output (must)
- Small (!) remote control device, or reuse an TV(?) existent via HDMI CEC (must)
- Wireless IEEE_802.11n
- Nice looking case, which would be pleasure to place under big screen TV
Software:
- It should smoothly play Full HD, x264, 50fps, mkv, etc.
- SMB client, to play media from a remote computer
- It could act as a NAS with internal/external USB storage

ps. Very happy with your choice of Gentoo Linux, it gives me full control!

niccolog71

Post by niccolog71 »

Hi all,
i think that the fit PC2 will be a "killer solution", but there are some constraints. In detail:
1) Full HDMI audio (DTS, AC3,....) via HDMI or S/PDIF connector. In detail 8-channel (7.1) audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and one optical S/PDIF.
2) Full Hardware accelerated decode during high-definition (1080P) playback. Actually there some solutions like ION (with Nvidia GeForce 9400) or Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD. I don't know if the Intel GMA500 is able to do that.
3) Windows 7 compatibility (not VISTA :P ), or last release of Ubuntu Linux;
4) and last but not least 2GB RAM;

Bye
Niccolo
:mrgreen:
4)

irads

Post by irads »

Full HD hardware acceleration for GMA500 and Windows 7 are supported.

niccolog71

Post by niccolog71 »

Perfect for the Hardware acceleration and windows 7 supportability.
But for audio 5.1 any news?

Thanks in advance.
Niccolo

BBB

Post by BBB »

irads: we know the fit-pc2 is Full HD video capable, but whats the story with 5.1 audio using HDMI ?

Is that slated for the next fit pc model ? as without it everyone looking to use this in a htpc will now pass on it in its currect spec.

thanks

irads

Post by irads »

- We do not discuss future plans.
- You should be careful not to speak on behalf of "everyone".

lordfuzzz

Post by lordfuzzz »

I'd also like to throw my vote in for audio through HDMI. I realize that it might be an engineering challenge, but it would be a great nicety.

As an FYI: Sony's KDL-46V4100 has an HDMI input with an attached pair of RCA audio inputs, so it could be used with the Fit-PC2.

metricus

Post by metricus »

I will add myself to this wishlist. Definitely providing a complete hdmi output including audio signal is a logical feature. Having a 1080p but with analogue audio is only half the job.

Also from the point of view of the wiring, having one little box but a bunch of wires kind of defeats the purpose.

Return to “Wish list”