Native Linux Graphics Support (i.e. no more GMA500 madness)

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
snowman

Native Linux Graphics Support (i.e. no more GMA500 madness)

Post by snowman »

It's really a pity that this nice device now stucks with Ubuntu 9.10 just because there is no reasonable support for the graphics chip.

I hope that successors of fitpc2 take these "lessons learned" and ship with actively supported hardware... In that case one would be able to choose other distributions as well - ubuntu is clearly not the first choice for all applications.

fly

Re: Native Linux Graphics Support (i.e. no more GMA500 madness)

Post by fly »

Well, when compulabs offer a successor tot he fitpc2 and use the Z/E600 series of Atoms, we are stuck with a PowerVR based GMA once again. Maybe this time the support will be better, but the basic problem stays: IP problems and closed source drivers. I really hope the consumer grade Atoms/GMA get by time to a comparable power consumption, so that we don't rely on PowerVR anymore..

.. all that raises the question: Will there be linux support for the current fitPC2 in the future? 8.04 and 9.10 are expected to reach EOL date next year...
other distributions as well - ubuntu is clearly not the first choice for all applications.
agreed

irads

Re: Native Linux Graphics Support (i.e. no more GMA500 madness)

Post by irads »

The issue is acknowledged. CompuLab has no plan to offer E600 based fit-PCx.

ftoth

Re: Native Linux Graphics Support (i.e. no more GMA500 madne

Post by ftoth »

I'm really hoping for a successor with a Valleyview/Bay Trail/Silvermont/Z3700 or however the heck Intel calls it this week.

That would give us x86-64 instruction set, Ivy Bridge graphics, hopefully in a 2-3W power dissipation (the FitPC2 does run a little hotter then I would like).

Then with a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz Wifi it would be perfect as a settop box.

In fact it would be perfect for almost anything.

I like the FitPC2 enclosure better then the newer ones, but it would be usefull for industrial applications if it could be mounted to a DIN rail.

Return to “Wish list”