LAN gaming inquiry

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
fit4PC

LAN gaming inquiry

Post by fit4PC »

Ive only just discovered this range of small form factor PCs and Im interested in learning more.

Everyone has discussed in the forums about using fit-PC as media centers though nothing for low-end gaming? Therefore I need to ask gaming related questions.

1a) I was wondering if any of the models are fully capable of running 32bit PC games from 1990's such as Age of Empires II, Company of Heroes, Starcraft, Warcraft II & III etc? Note these games where designed for Windows XP O/S.

1b) Second part question, if a fit-PC model can run these games, what sort of overheating issues would there be? as I prefer a fanless, SSD, fit-PC unit?

1c) Third part question, if there are overheating issues, what types of upgrade/peripherals would I need? Priority is for me is having noiseless fit-PC units for a LAN setup of approx. 8 fit-PC units.

Note I am not interested in installing/running modern games from this century in particular 3D game engines that require high-end systems.

Purely require something quiet and low-watt for running the above 32bit RTS games from 1990's.

What I want to try is 8 fit-PC units for LAN gaming of the old 32bit RTS games from 1990's.

2) Which fit-PC models are recommended? Note I prefer no fans and SSD and the games I will be running are old XP games therefore would like XP O/S rather than Windows7 which Im unsure if the games would run in that O/S?

3) If that is possible, I then need to inquire whether I could use a large Xeon Server (from any of the major Server Companies) which would host game images on the Server using software from Slysoft eg. GameJackal. I would also need network ports on each fit-PC if I went with this configuration.

4a) Is it possible to adequately stream the game images onto the fit-PCs, rather than connecting a 250GB usb HDD to each fit-PC?

4b) If its not possible then would I be required to install all the game images on a large SSD in each fit-PC?

Thanks for any help, recommendations and opinions.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: LAN gaming inquiry

Post by gabrielh »

1a) FitPC2 is a 32bit system with full Windows XP support. We haven't tested those games on our system, but I don't see any reasons why they shouldn't run, if they were designed for Windows XP
1b) All the FitPC are fan-less. Until you are not intending to place a FitPC in closed, unventilated environment, there shouldn't be overheating issues. Normal operation range for a FitPC2 is 0C~60C
1c) You can order an external heat-sink for fitpc2 if you are facing overheating issues

2) FitPC2 is the smallest model in the series. It is 32bit fanless system
3) Please choose any server manufacturer at your flavor. FitPC2 has one ethernet port, FitPC2i has two
4) I think this is pure specific game\game server related question. We don't have such experience. I suggest you to check the hardware requirement for each task and compare it with a FitPC2 specifications
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

fit4PC

Post by fit4PC »

Thank you for your helpful response. I do have more questions as Im unsure which of fit-PC2 I should select.

fit-PC2:
802.11n WLAN (based on RaLink RT3090, single antenna)

fit-PC2i:
802.11n WLAN (based on RaLink RT3070, single antenna)

1) What is the difference bewteen the above listed RT3090 & RT3070?

2) fit-PC2i contains 2x 1000 BaseT Ethernet. What is the benefit of having that extra one?

3) What is the RS232 COM PORT found in fit-PC2i normally used for?

4) What is the IR found in fit-PC2 normally used for?

5) What price discount can you do for ordering eg. (8 units) fit-PC2i-D2G-C1600-W?

6) What price discount can you do for ordering eg. (8 units) fit-PC2-D2G-C1600-W?

7) I am still undecided as to which of these 2 models I should chose. Any recommendations?

Thank you and please excuse the overwhelming questions.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

fit4PC wrote:Thank you for your helpful response. I do have more questions as Im unsure which of fit-PC2 I should select.

fit-PC2:
802.11n WLAN (based on RaLink RT3090, single antenna)

fit-PC2i:
802.11n WLAN (based on RaLink RT3070, single antenna)

1) What is the difference bewteen the above listed RT3090 & RT3070?

2) fit-PC2i contains 2x 1000 BaseT Ethernet. What is the benefit of having that extra one?

3) What is the RS232 COM PORT found in fit-PC2i normally used for?

4) What is the IR found in fit-PC2 normally used for?

5) What price discount can you do for ordering eg. (8 units) fit-PC2i-D2G-C1600-W?

6) What price discount can you do for ordering eg. (8 units) fit-PC2-D2G-C1600-W?

7) I am still undecided as to which of these 2 models I should chose. Any recommendations?

1) Because of HW design specifications, FITPC2 features PCIe ethernet controller, and FITPC2i features an USB based one
2) It depends on your needs. If you are not sure if you need an extra one, then I suggest you to get the FitPC2 with extra two USB ports
3) This is a serial communication port for general communication purposes
4) This is general purpose IR communication port. You can use it with your TV remote to control several PC functions
5,6) Please contact the sales at sales@compulab.co.il
7) I think the FitPC2 model will suit you best
Gabriel Heifets

fit4PC

Post by fit4PC »

gabrielh wrote:
fit4PC wrote:Thank you for your helpful response. I do have more questions as Im unsure which of fit-PC2 I should select.

1) Because of HW design specifications, FITPC2 features PCIe ethernet controller, and FITPC2i features an USB based one
2) It depends on your needs. If you are not sure if you need an extra one, then I suggest you to get the FitPC2 with extra two USB ports
3) This is a serial communication port for general communication purposes
4) This is general purpose IR communication port. You can use it with your TV remote to control several PC functions
5,6) Please contact the sales at sales@compulab.co.il
7) I think the FitPC2 model will suit you best
I am still unsure which fit-PC model to get. Heres more info for you to provide a better opinion.

I have 4 x Win XP Pro 32-bit O/S.
I wish to install these O/S in 4 x fit-PC (a 32bit model with SSD HDD).
The purpose of this setup is for LAN Gaming and Online Gaming of old games that dont use higher than DirectX 9. (Most of the games are released from the last century).
I am considering on using Wi-Fi for the LAN gaming.
I will be using a high-speed - Netgear R6300 WiFi Router
http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products ... R6300.aspx

Is is wise to use a Wi-Fi setup for this type of LAN Gaming? Remember the games are not latest generation First Person Shooter that require the latest tech-specs but old games such as Real Time Strategy that have sprites rather than complex 3D models etc.

Which of the Fit-PC models do you recommend. Fit-PC2 or Fit-PC2i?

Lastly will you be supporting in the near future any revised/updated 32bit models of Fit-PC with low-watt Ivy Bridge CPU which is better than Atom CPU?
Or from today onwards you will only be looking at releasing 64bit systems?

The reason being is I have many 32bit XP Pro O/S and no 64bit XP Pro O/S.

Thank you for your advice which can help me on making decisions.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

After revising your specification, I think the Fit-PC2 model will suit you best. Both models will fit your needs, but the no "i" model will provide you with two additional USB ports. From you description, I don't see you need additional ethernet port.

Wired setup is always preferred over the WiFi, in the meanings of performance and stability, but again, from your descriptions the nowadays WiFi technology will satisfy your needs.

About the 32 bit OS's: you can install the 32bit version OS on the x64 bit target machine, but the bigger problem is the EOL of the Windows XP, therefore, you'll have trouble obtaining the drivers for WinXP.
Gabriel Heifets

fit4PC

Post by fit4PC »

OK thanks for your information and recommendations.

Ultimately I intend on getting 8 units, but will get them 4 at a time.

The Netgear R6300 WiFi Router and other Routers only have 4 ports, so this means I have to buy 2 Router units if I want to run 8 fit-PC2 machines?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Yes, but initially, please check the WiFi option. I think it will give you a satisfied performance
Gabriel Heifets

fit4PC

Post by fit4PC »

gabrielh wrote:Yes, but initially, please check the WiFi option. I think it will give you a satisfied performance
Will you be supporting in the near future any revised/updated 32bit models of Fit-PC with low-watt Ivy Bridge CPU which is better than Atom CPU?

Or from today onwards you will only be looking at releasing 64bit systems with possible Ivy Bridge CPU?

Thanks.

Return to “Wish list”