Power over Ethernet support

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
sdhess

Re: Power over Ethernet support

Post by sdhess »

HereBeMonsters wrote:That would be brilliant, although would that mean you need a PoE enabled router/switch at the other end? Is there home kit available?
I have the NetGear FS108P, which is a 8 port 10/100 switch with 4 PoE (IEEE 802.3af) ports built in. They also have a 16 port 10/100 with 8 PoE ports (FS116P), and a new 8 port 10/100/1000 with 4 PoE ports (FS116P). They are designed for the small office home office network, and in this case would work great to power a FIT-PC.

b1232416

Post by b1232416 »

+1: for PoE aka Power over Ethernet aka 802.11af.

Why?
1. it saves precious space in rack environments for cabling and power supplies
2. easier to secure the connector using the plastic latch (no screw driver required to secure the power plug)
3. prevent single point of failure with dual PoE connectors, when both ethernet cables are connected to a different PoE switches.
4. offers out of band/IPMI like/remote power switch capabilities on managed switch where you can remotely disconnect/connect ethernet ports (using the management interface of the switch).

CapitanBlack

Post by CapitanBlack »

Old topic but maybe it still actual to someone... If you need to power up fit2pc via PoE - google for "PoE power extractor" and buy one that outputs 12VDC. They are all tiny and cheap devices.

sdhess

Post by sdhess »

Thank you CaptainBlack, that is good information. I still think it would be a nice built in feature, but that is a good alternative.

Nadrek

Post by Nadrek »

I apologize for pulling up an old thread, but I did want to add new information:

With 802.3at (POE+), 25.5W is available to the powered device. With an efficient power supply, this should be enough even for Fit-PC3 implementations rated for peaks of ~21W. This would be a tremendous benefit for Wifi access point use in small offices; specifically, being able to place the small device near where the antennas are, thus minimizing cable loss (which gets very serious in the 5.3/5.8Ghz bands - 20.4db/100ft for LMR240, and even 10.8db/100ft for LMR400), and run only one wire, which helps on installation. More importantly, the AC power can be provided where it's convenient, not up near the device (which may well be on/in the ceiling... five or eight meters in the air).

While the Fit-PC3, for instance, is perhaps a bit overpowered for a Wifi access point, it's not overpowered for a Wifi access point that runs VPN to the wifi clients based on regulatory compliance reasons and/or product recommendations in the health care space.

Return to “Wish list”