Power over Ethernet support

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
sdhess

Power over Ethernet support

Post by sdhess »

With the Fit-PC2 having such low wattage power requirements, I would really like to see it support Power over Ethernet (PoE). That would be really great especially for putting one near a TV, or behind a monitor. Not having to have an extra power brick would be a great help.

DJ-KhaosTheory

Re: Power over Ethernet support

Post by DJ-KhaosTheory »

To be perfecly honest, I like this idea. I think a POE model should be produced for buissness purposes. Most Cisco products use POE and in a corp enviorment POE is a must. I think a fit that has POE is a good idea.

ericjarvies

Post by ericjarvies »

Agreed! PoE is most convenient in some situations. As is GB Ethernet. As is 802.11n mPCI(AP/Repeater/WDS/CPE modes).

Eric Jarvies

rbalara

Post by rbalara »

Agreed. Coming from a higher education / corporate environment, PoE would be an excellent addition. It also serves as a battery backup since they are attached to battery-backed switches. We are using one as a DMP for an HDTV to monitor the network status on 1 half of the TV, with the other half being used to monitor the TV stations.

Please make this an option in future revisions and products.

davesedar

Post by davesedar »

agree that powering directly from the Ethernet Port is an obvious requirement. PoE provides 15.4 Watts at 44 - 48.5 VDC, easily enough for the PC2. If/when PoE is supported is there any chance of a DC output from the PC2 to power a TFT display, so that the whole PC becomes line-powered?

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

This option coul be interesting also to powerup the new cameras GigE PoE, and to transform a fit-PC in a Vision systems with Image analisys software, the power of processor is enough.

HereBeMonsters

Post by HereBeMonsters »

That would be brilliant, although would that mean you need a PoE enabled router/switch at the other end? Is there home kit available?
There are, of course, many problems connected with life; of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? And why do they spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches? - Douglas Adams

davesedar

Post by davesedar »

I wonder if Sandro and HereBeMonsters have misunderstood PoE. The power is 'produced' on the ethernet cable by a PoE Router or Switch, and 'consumed' by end-devices - like the Fit-PC2 or a GigE camera. So the PC2 would not be powering the camera, both are powered by the Router or Switch.

HereBeMonsters

Post by HereBeMonsters »

davesedar wrote:I wonder if Sandro and HereBeMonsters have misunderstood PoE. The power is 'produced' on the ethernet cable by a PoE Router or Switch, and 'consumed' by end-devices - like the Fit-PC2 or a GigE camera. So the PC2 would not be powering the camera, both are powered by the Router or Switch.

:? That's exactly what I was saying. I know you have to have a PoE Router or Switch to run it, so is there a home solution for that sort of thing yet? Our PoE devices at work are the usualy rack mounted doodads.
There are, of course, many problems connected with life; of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? And why do they spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches? - Douglas Adams

davesedar

Post by davesedar »

Sorry did not mean to be critical. There is a new 3Com PoE Injector on ebay for £7.50 inc p&p.

Return to “Wish list”