SDHC, normal or micro sized package

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
DaveSemm

SDHC, normal or micro sized package

Post by DaveSemm »

The Fit-PC2 is great as is. I'd like to see these in a future version:

Normal or micro SD package: the mini sized packages seem to be less common that the micro and standard SD packages.

SDHC will be much more useful than standard SD. Of course you could jump straight to SDXC.

Also: genuine SATA 2 interface, not PATA to SATA convertor.

Genuine HDMI with digital sound.

MattW

Re: SDHC, normal or micro sized package

Post by MattW »

The Intel US15W chipset is what is preventing CompuLab from offering a true SATA interface as well as SDHC as the US15W chipset only has support for vanilla SD and PATA built-in.

I would like to believe that Intel did this for the sake of making the US15W an ultra-low power chipset, but the cynic in me is convinced that Intel intentionally crippled this chipset so that they didn't gut their higher-margin ($$$) chipset market.

It's probably possible to add 3rd party SDHC and SATA chips to give the motherboard these abilities, but it probably would probably increase the size of the Fit-PC2 and the power that it requires. It would also likely increase the design and manufacturing costs as well.

Though take what I'm saying with a grain of salt as I don't work for CompuLab and am only speculating.

Hopefully Mr. Irads will stop by and clear things up for you... :)

irads

Post by irads »

The facts are right, but I wouldn't go too far with conspiracy theory -
Intel had mobile internet devices (MID) in mind when designing the US15W and had the Atom paired with the 945 chipset family for netbooks and nettops.

What is unique about fit-PC2 is an effort by CompuLab to provide nettop functionality at a MID size and power consumption. This is only possible today with Atom and US15W - not with any 945 and not with ION.

I request posters to keep discussions on this forum focused on fit-PC2 rather than wandering off to corporate politics and strategies. These are sure fascinating topics but should take place on other dedicated forums.

Thanks,

MattW

Post by MattW »

Whoops, sorry about that. :oops: I'll keep my political comments to myself.

Return to “Wish list”