Fit-pc2 issues under 11.04

baudio

Fit-pc2 issues under 11.04

Post by baudio »

I just picked up a fit-pc2 diskless rev 1.4. I put an SSD drive in it, and installed Ubuntu Server 11.04 x86. I seem to be encountering the following issues, just curious if anyone knows workarounds for any of them:

- "sudo halt" works, but "sudo reboot" just hangs without rebooting

- wireless seems broken. Attempting to use the wireless caused the fit-pc2 to lock up on "ifconfig wlan0 down". I installed the ubuntu-provided wireless-compat modules, which seems to fix the hang. "iwconfig wlan0 scan" lists my wireless network, however, I cannot get it to connect to my access point.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

sjbertram

Re: Fit-pc2 issues under 11.04

Post by sjbertram »

I've just got some FitPCs at work. I've only installed 10.10 for now, but I'll be updating to 11.04. I've had the same reboot problem already after the install, though. I'm guessing it is a ACPI problem that it can cut power but not do a soft reset. Maybe if the Fit PC repos had Maverick and Natty drivers it'd help?

fanf

Post by fanf »

Hello,

I have a similar issue with Ubuntu Server 11.04 x86 freshly installed.

"sudo reboot" will just hang up the computer but not rebooting.

Any ideas on how to solve this ?

Thanks,

sfzhi

Post by sfzhi »

I'm not using Ubuntu, but I have the same reboot problem with vanilla kernel 2.6.39.4. With kernel 2.6.35.14 everything works fine. So I have compared the relevant parts of the kernel code (arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c). It turns out that the way reboot is performed has significantly changed (and as far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with ACPI).

In 2.6.35 reboot is performed by switching the CPU to real mode and jumping to the BIOS entry point FFFF:0000 (the same one where execution starts upon hardware reset). And it seems to work just fine. In 2.6.39 they try to do something similar, but in a different way, which I don't really understand. So it looks like the "improvement" in the kernel is causing the problem.

I'm still trying to investigate it further. I haven't tried kernels newer than 2.6.39 yet, so don't know if the problem has been fixed. In any case, if there is no better solution then reverting the reboot code to the older implementation would probably fix it.

sfzhi

Post by sfzhi »

The things are broken by this commit:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/g ... eed4753e7b.

There is a kernel bug report for a similar problem with different hardware:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33302.
The bug seems to have been fixed for that hardware and the fix is included in 2.6.39.4, but obviously, it doesn't work for fit-PC2. I haven't been able to find any further fixes (not in linux-next at least).

The good news is that reverting the mentioned commit fixes the problem.

morety

Post by morety »

I had the same problem with Ubuntu 11.04. It seems that it get fixed by itself when I installed Ubuntu Desktop on top of the Ubuntu Server. :)

gurpal2000

Post by gurpal2000 »

morety wrote:I had the same problem with Ubuntu 11.04. It seems that it get fixed by itself when I installed Ubuntu Desktop on top of the Ubuntu Server. :)
But i take it you're still using the desktop version in a server capacity (eg. headless?). Did you disable X/gnome/etc.?

Return to “Ubuntu 11.04”